Logic Pro 8 UAD-1/Clicks & Pops

Hey guys, does anyone else use the UAD-1 cards? I have a couple in my G5 & I recently started to hear small clicks & pops in playback that were never present before & aren't on the actual recording. If I remove some of the UAD plugs on the master bus, the issue resolves itself, but the cpu meter shows only 70% usage. I ordered another card just in case, but I would like to hear if any one else has had any similar issues & any thoughts you may have on the subject. Thanks in advance for your input!
Peace - J.

What are your Buffer I/O Settings in Logic? Could you mention these and other details of your system? I found that the UAD 1 card could cause problems if this was set below 256 - I ran a G5 with two cards for a few years. In particular running some plugins on aux, bus or output channel strips can be critical.

FWIW, the UAD 2 seems to be considerably improved in this and other respects.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Mark, I monitor outside of Logic via a Mackie Mixer, so I leave the buffer settings maxed-out at 1024. (Unless I need to record a software instrument, but I do that before I start mixing with plugs.) I have plugs on regular tracks, auxes & on the master out. Mostly LA2A & 1176 LN on tracks, Transient Designer on kick & snare, Cambridge EQ on overheads, then all drums bussed to an aux with an 1176. Guitars bussed to Pultec & LA2A, I usually have an 1176 on the lead guitar before it's bussed to the guitar aux. No verb on anything except an aux for the vox & backups & one on the main outs running at about 3-9% depending on the tune. Then it hits the precision EQ, Maximiser & Buss Comp. My comp is a G5 Dual 1.8, 2 gigs RAM, 2 SATA drives at 7200 RPM (One just for recording & storage of music never kept more than 1/4 full) Video is standard Nvidea GeForce FX 5200 64Meg, interface is MOTU 896HD & I'm running 2 (Soon to be 3) UAD-1 cards. I've included a window of a typical mix before vocals, no keys just so you can get an idea as to how it's set up. Hope that's enough info! Lemme kn ow what you think.
Peace - J.

Attachments

• mix.jpg
    mix.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
Thanks, that is very comprehensive information!

That is quite an effect chain on the output channel strip. Wow!

What happens if you remove all the UAD plugins there? You could apply them seperately to your mix file, as a form of pre mastering?

I had terrible trouble running the precision series plugins on the output on my Mac Pro with the UAD 1e card. I can't say for sure whether that is the source of your clicks and pops, but I would certainly start off by taking some or all of them off the output and see if that improves things.

You may also benefit from putting less load on the cards. From the list of plugins you mention I suspect that the load on the cards is quite high. You may also want to consider more RAM, 4 GB could make quite a difference.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Cool thanks Mark! I will try getting more RAM. The problem does disappear if I disable some of the plugs on the master, but I like to leave them on to get an idea as to what I'm giving the mastering engineer by doing a little mini master myself. I'm hoping the third card will rectify the situation, but I'll go grab some more ram as well!
Peace - J.

Upvote 0
I've noticed clicks on recording (ouch) when using UAD plugins (on other tracks), but only since getting Macpro and UAD-1e. And this is happening with only one or two instances of UAD (and more than enough RAM). I'm sure I've seen something about this somewhere.

I believe Mark about UAD-2 , but to be honest I prefer to gradually wean myself off of UAD after having laid out for the 1e card, I don't want to keep paying hand over fist to upgrade what's basically an expensive dongle, Logic plugins* and 3rd party native plugins are getting more and better all the time so for me it will soon be "bye bye UAD"

EDIT: * esp Sonalksis and PSP

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete. I've used PSP's Vintage Warmer & I remember really liking it, but I never tried any of the stuff from Sonalksis. I'm kinda hooked on the UAD stuff now, although I also really dig the Waves plugs as well. Especially the Renaissance stuff. I'll download the stuff from Sonalksis & see if it works for me. Thanks again man!
Peace - J.

Upvote 0
I've noticed clicks on recording (ouch) when using UAD plugins (on other tracks), but only since getting Macpro and UAD-1e. And this is happening with only one or two instances of UAD (and more than enough RAM). I'm sure I've seen something about this somewhere.

I believe Mark about UAD-2 , but to be honest I prefer to gradually wean myself off of UAD after having laid out for the 1e card, I don't want to keep paying hand over fist to upgrade what's basically an expensive dongle, Logic plugins* and 3rd party native plugins are getting more and better all the time so for me it will soon be "bye bye UAD"

EDIT: * esp Sonalksis and PSP
\

I have a UAD-2 Duo and a UAD-1e. You will have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.

Upvote 0
lol Nice Jay! I feel the same way. I went your site & listened to your tunes man, fantastic brother! I especially dug the Night Blues track. (I'm a Blues guy lol) Were all those tracks done in Logic, or do you just use it for writing/pre-prod? Anyways, they all sound great & are very well written! Very inspiring.
Peace - J.

Upvote 0
lol Nice Jay! I feel the same way. I went your site & listened to your tunes man, fantastic brother! I especially dug the Night Blues track. (I'm a Blues guy lol) Were all those tracks done in Logic, or do you just use it for writing/pre-prod? Anyways, they all sound great & are very well written! Very inspiring.
Peace - J.

All of them were composed in Logic but only the electronics ones were recored and mixed in it.

"Night Blues" is from an NBC movie of the week I scored called "Fugitive Nights: Danger in the Desert."

We recorded it at Capitol Records Studio A, one of my favorites. The guitarist is the great Carl Verheyen, who is my "go to" guy.
http://www.carlverheyen.com/

Upvote 0
Back