Logic Pro 9 Ultrabeat as a sequencer

slack

Logician
I want to use Ultrabeat to trigger a steady series of bass notes on the beat (I'm recreating some old Genesis tunes).

When you load a drum kit into Ultrabeat, the top note is often a bass. But it's only one note/pitch.

Getting Ultrabeat to trigger the notes isn't a problem. What I can't figure out is how to make the trigger valid for any note I play, i.e. the rhythm pattern I create only works on one note. Seems to me there should be a way to have Ultrabeat trigger any note that happens to be pressed at the time (like your voice activates keys pressed with a vocoder), but I can't find any info on how...

The better option would be to load the the Ultrabeat patch that has the bass, then use a keyboard to sequence the notes... they will play above the drum notes just fine, but you can't do anything in ultrabeat as far as I'm aware

Upvote 0
i c

i can get it to play the default note fine. and any other notes i play above the default note can be heard. but the sequenced/pulsed bass note doesn't change, and the above notes are not triggering with the sequenced beat.

for example, if i wanted Ultrabeat to play a C, F, G, C bass line, how would i do it?
or should i be using a different sequencer?

Upvote 0
Dude...

OK here it comes again:

1) Load the kit with the bass sound you like into ultrabeat.

2) Connect a keyboard or midi controller to Logic, and make sure the instrument track with ultrabeat is in record ready (the "R" is red)

3) Play the keyboard from low to high notes. 2 octaves above the kick at C1 (C3 in this example) the bass notes should start.

4) Sequence the bass notes you want.

And to confirm: no, Ultrabeat will not let you sequence any notes higher that the single bass note, so you will have to use Logic and ultrabeat like a normal instrument and not use the built in Ultrabeat sequencer.

Hope that shines the light onto the situation.

And just for the record: Logic has a great help system built in (under the menu that says help), the answers might be there, and 2) the beginner Logic Pro tutorial manual you get in the box with Logic Studio is one of the best beginner tutorials I have ever seen. Go through it from start to finish. It will really help you to use Logic.

Welcome to the best but slightly confusing DAW out today :cool:

Upvote 0
OK
I guess I should preface my Forum request with "There is nothing in the help system about this."

so the answer to my original post is "no, Ultrabeat will not let you sequence any notes higher that the single bass note"

to be clear, i don't really need higher notes, or lower ones for that matter. i need it to trigger depressed keys, much the way the voice does on a vocorder. if it can be programmed to play specific keys, so much the better.

in fact, in the absence of any other solution, i'm going to see if i can side chain Ultrabeat into EVOC.

Upvote 0
Back