Logic Pro (X) Unravelling multi-region project

peterlemer

Logician
imagine a project with 100 discrete poems, some with one speaker, some with 2, some with guitar, some with other instruments.

Many of these are out-takes, some aren't wanted any moref.

I now want to remove 50 'takes'.

The point: many have been automated for interim listening: volume, pan, some MIDI stuff, and so on.

Short of placing automation anchors ( some of them multiple) at each end of every region before cutting out stuff, is there an easier way, eg. freezing the entire project before culling?

tia pete

I'd mix the keepers and assemble the mixes in a new project. Mostly because it's quick, easy, transparent and safe. Also because the client *will* ask for that one outtake later.

Upvote 0
Thanks Christian, I hadn't explained well. These are already mixed up to a point, and I want to assemble those mixes by removing outtakes ( and saving the result as a new project, keeping the original, which includes all those outtakes)

I hope that's clearer?

pete

Upvote 0
Not sure I'm getting it. I'd mix everything in the original project, then bounce the segments, leave the original project at that stage and assemble the bounces in a new project. The point of assembling bounces in a new project is that you don't have to deal with shifting automation and/or single Regions back and forth which in fact is highly error prone at such scale. And you keep access to the original project with everything inside.

Upvote 0
Thanks Christian, you're making good sense, but mixing 50 items scattered among 100 ( approx) doesn't make navigation easy.

Also, different mics were used at different sessions, so we will need to unify the textures of the valued items as a whole.

I don't even want to do final mixes until the clients commit to a running order.

pete

Upvote 0
I'm not sure either if this will help (and Christian's advice is probably better and more relevant) but have you considered flattening the various takes, in order to make them completely independent of each other, and then starting to cull? That would be a lot of work if there are up to 50, but without knowing more about, or seeing the project, I'm not sure if there would be a more elegant method.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi mark, thanks for your feedback. A helluvalot of micro automation has already been done. This is poetry where, for example, one of the poets doesn;t have english as her native language, so it's sometimes down to ducking phonemes, drop-ins, flex. I'd prefer to keep as much as poss.

pete

Upvote 0
Back