Logic Pro 8 Using audio file to trigger MIDI instrument

madconker

Hi,

My band have a live recording. We have a particularly bad recording of the snare drum. We would like to use the snare audio file to trigger a MIDI instrument to get a better sound (possibly via Ultrabeat with another synth or sampled snare). It's not recorded to a click track, or I would just write it in MIDI. Anyway I think it would sound better triggering off a live track.

I am wondering if this is possible, and if so how do I do it? Also can I use the volume information of the snare audio file to affect the velocity of the MIDI triggered note? That might help make it sound more real too.

Regards,

Simon.

...I think it would sound better triggering off a live track.
1) Logic's audio-to-midi function. You may need to isolate the snare as good as possible by EQ or whatever works. Then you can make score notes from the audio file and edit them.

2) apTrigga is a sound replacement tool from apulsoft, it fires samples based on filtered audio. It works very good, depending on your skills you need a little more time than with Drumagog.

3) Drumagog is a drum replacement tool which is so far I know not much better than apTrigga but much more expensive and has a fancy interface.

4) I remember that some company sent me an announcement of another drum replacer. I don't remember who it was. Sonalksis? PSP? URS? Someone in this class.

Also can I use the volume information of the snare audio file to affect the velocity of the MIDI triggered note?
I don't know.

Upvote 0
Flex!

Doesn't Flex just kind of do this? You simply contextually click any Flex processed audio file and it will export MIDI notes based on the slices... you may have to play around with some of the Flex markers to get every hit, but it should work just fine...

Upvote 0
Upgrade to Logic 9 and use the new drum replacement feature. It's works beautifully!

It automatically slices up the audio based on transients, creates an EXS 24 instrument, maps all th eslices, creates and places a midi file in your arrangement, and loads in a palette of (snare) drum sounds to select from.

Upvote 0
Back