Logic Pro (X) Using Motif XS6 via midi and sound module

mbenatar

Logician
Logic X, Motif XS6 as a controller and as a sound module.

Hello,
I am new to your group.
I have been using Logic since it was Emagic.

I am helping a friend setup his studio.

Imac i5 8gigs ram, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 26, Motif XS6

We want to use the motif as a controller AND a sound module with Logic x.

We have the midi in/out interfaced correctly. It is talking to Logic. Stereo Output of the Pro 26 to input 3 & 4 of the Sapphire Pro 26. I am not understanding how to set up a template to access the XS6 sounds from logic and add tracks and what the correct process is. It is confusing to me. Can someone point me to a link or advise me with the correct procedure?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I understand that you wish to record the audio coming out of the XS6.
An easy approach would be to use the External Instrument plugin.
Check the Instrument plugins manual at ch.10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
I want to be able to access the XS6 patches from Logic. Record the midi information into a midi track using XS6 as a controller and trigger the sounds from logic. I don't want to actually record the XS6 audio. I eventually want to use the XS6 sounds on the bounce.

Upvote 0
I want to be able to access the XS6 patches from Logic.
If you want to manage the XS6 patches / banks from within Logic you could use the Custom Bank Select feature.
If you only intend to select the XS6 patches remotely from within Logic, you could use the program/bank parameters in the track inspector.

Record the midi information into a midi track using XS6 as a controller and trigger the sounds from logic.
By MIDI information, do you mean the notes you played or also the SysEx data pertaining to the XS6 patches/banks?

In Logic, there are different types of tracks. Three are of interest for you at the moment: one is an External MIDI track, the second being the Software Instrument track and (eventually) the other is the audio track.

The External MIDI track will allow you to record in Logic what you are playing on your XS6, and have your XS6 (sound) playback what you recorded in Logic; providing that you have matched the MIDI channel between Logic and your XS6.

The Software Instrument track will require that you instantiate a (Logic) software instrument (EXS-24, ES2, Sculpture, etc...) onto the channelstrip assigned to that track. The software instrument will play/record/playback according to what you played on the keys of your XS6.

The audio track would be to record in Logic the sound coming from the XS6.

I don't want to actually record the XS6 audio
Then focus only on the Software Instrument track and/or the External MIDI track...

I eventually want to use the XS6 sounds on the bounce.
In that case, you would need to record the XS6 audio output into Logic and my previous suggestion about using the External Instrument plugin still stands.

Upvote 0
Back