Logic Pro 9 Using New/Purchased Samples

Pam S

Hi all, long time since I've been on the site.

I have some .exs samples on disc, as well as some samples I bought from Soundsonline that I would really like to use in some of my projects. I've looked through all of my books (as few as are out there for us) and cannot find any reference on how to load these sounds/samples into Logic 9.

Do I need to load them into the Library, and if so, how do I do that? Can I just load them into a specific track as I need them and, again, if so, how do I do that?

I'm using the latest v. of Logic 9 (9.1.7) and Snow Leopard OS (10.6.8).

Anything you gurus can help me with, I'd be most appreciative! I'm rackin' my brain here with no results!

:brkwl:

Go to your user folder > application support > Logic

Make 2 folders:
Sampler Instruments
Samples

Place the folder containing your .exs files into the Sampler Instruments folder, and your samples in the other. DO NOT change the structure of the folder contents... if your library came in a series of folders, keep them in those folders and just drop the old folders into your newly created ones. If you don't do this, it will ask you where the samples are (which it might well do anyways).

Upvote 0
Presumably you have the .exs instruments as well as the samples. (The samples would be .wav or .aiff files). The exs instruments need to go into:

Users/Yourname/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

The wav/aif samples can go anywhere on your hard drives.

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses.

I moved a couple of batches of .exs files into the App Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments file (after I finally found it), but am having no success in opening them. grrrrrr... In Logic, I go into Library, click on Browse tab, go to the item I want, but it won't load. What am I doing wrong? Haven't tried loading the Soundsonline stuff yet...don't wanna mess with the iLok business til I have the process down!

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses.

I moved a couple of batches of .exs files into the App Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments file (after I finally found it), but am having no success in opening them. grrrrrr... In Logic, I go into Library, click on Browse tab, go to the item I want,

That isn't how you load exs instruments. (Time for a little manual reading I think - chapter 10)

You load an exs instrument into a Sampler Instrument Channel strip, not via the library/browser which you can use for finding audio files.

Upvote 0
Just to add to what the guys have already said above...

The .exs files you originally spoke about are not samples. They are "instrument" files. The .exs files hold info about which samples to play on what key, at what velocity and so on. You need to open the EXS24 Sampler (built-in to Logic) and browse/load the files into that.

Once the EXS24 is loaded, then you should see all the instruments in the browser.
You click-hold on the slot in the channel strip just under I/O, then select EXS24:
exs24.png

As Pete said, best to read the manual......

Upvote 0
Back