Using Outboard Hardware

Maj G

Logician
Is anyone out there using outboard hardware for adding effects?

What is the signal path of the I/O insert?

I know that you insert the Utility > I/O into the channel strip, got that. I'm wondering where the signal gets routed from there. Is it going out through your audio interface via 1/4" outputs, and then routed back in again via 1/4" cables?

If you connect a MIDI cable to the outboard effects unit, what will that be able to control, Automation information or is the actual audio signal transferred through it as well?

Here's my situation and why I'm asking the question:

I would like to be able to use some of my vintage outboard gear in mixing tracks to get the sound I want. I do have MIDI on my interface and would be happily surprised to learn that I could route all the information through there, however, I suspect the actual signal information would run through 1/4" connections, but could be adjusted/automated throught the MIDI.

I have an outdated (ancient discontinued) audio interface, and would like to know what the minimum requirements would be for doing this to help me in possibly selecting a new interface if I cannot perform this with my currentl interface.

Currently running Logic Studio 8, 17" iMac (Intel), 3GB Ram, Leopard 10.something. (I'm a frustrated PC guy trying to work a Mac)

Thanks for any help!!

Maj G

I have an outdated (ancient discontinued) audio interface, and would like to know what the minimum requirements would be for doing this to help me in possibly selecting a new interface if I cannot perform this with my currentl interface.

Let us know the interface.

You are correct, the audio will need to go via audio cables (analogue if the outboard is analogue) and you can control the modules via MIDI.

One thing to be aware of with analogue outboard effects is that you may get unacceptable latency due to the D/A conversion and then the A/D back in. You can get round this by using a negative delay (equal to the latency) on those tracks, or by delaying the non affected tracks but it's a faff.

Thanks for the quick reply!

My interface is a ... (cccrrrriiinge) Tascam US-224. So there is no way of using this for outboard gear.

I've been considering a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 as a possible upgrade.

Back