Using Soundtrack Pro for vocal editing, very cool.

daveyboy

Logician
I use Soundtrack Pro all the time to clean up various artifacts in tracks and have a fast workflow now. I'm just finishing a meditation cd and there are tons of weird mouth noises. Clicks and smacks within words that you just can't cut out normally. I highlight the chunk of audio in Logic and convert it to a new audio file. I then open that up (shift-w) in Soundtrack Pro and look at in spectrum edit mode. I can then ear and see where the little click noise is and highlight it and delete it. Since I'm usually only grabbing a portion of the frequency spectrum it's usually perfect. I then flatten the actions and do a save as, replacing the existing audio file in Logic. Logic updates and it's fixed. This has me curious about using Izotope's RX 2. At this point I don't do this enough to warrant spending more money but, if I did, I'd look into getting more of a built in plugin approach to save time.

You've hit on one of the sweet features with STP and Logic. The frequency spectrum analyzer can be useful and seems like your material is suited for that work flow. The round trip setup works well. As STP is now discontinued, we can only hope such elements might show up in Logic....

I do a lot of radio/tv commercials, and have recently started using RX2 to get rid of mouth-clicks and do a bit of noise/hiss reduction since I have to compress the voice a lot. RX2 is nothing short of amazing. Period. :)

I do a lot of radio/tv commercials, and have recently started using RX2 to get rid of mouth-clicks and do a bit of noise/hiss reduction since I have to compress the voice a lot. RX2 is nothing short of amazing. Period. :)

What's the workflow using RX? I downloads the demo thinking parts of it would run as an AU plugin, but, it doesn't work that way. I assume one would set that up to be the default external wave editor up in Logic's prefs and then go to town. For what I need to do, Soundtrack Pro seems to be set up to work in just as efficiently. Hopefully it won't "die" anytime soon as we continue to upgrade our OS's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can run it as standalone or the different parts as AUplugs. Very often I just add declick as a AU-plugin, do a quick pass and then just bounce it down.

You can run it as standalone or the different parts as AUplugs. Very often I just add declick as a AU-plugin, do a quick pass and then just bounce it down.

I'm awaiting my license delivery for RX2 and was still curious on getting a round trip workflow happening. I was hoping I could set it up as the default external waveform editor for Logic but it looks like that's not possible. Any suggestions?

I was hoping I could set it up as the default external waveform editor for Logic but it looks like that's not possible. Any suggestions?

This used to work - you need to have the program installed first. Then go to Preferences>Audio>Sample Editor>External Sample Editor and set your path there.

I was hoping I could set it up as the default external waveform editor for Logic but it looks like that's not possible. Any suggestions?

This used to work - you need to have the program installed first. Then go to Preferences>Audio>Sample Editor>External Sample Editor and set your path there.

Ooooohhhhhh.....Thanks!! I looked there already but missed it. I'm currently going through "eye puberty" and can't see so well:)

I installed RX2 this week and went through all the videos at groove3.com to help with the learning curve. I haven't had to do any real restoration yet, but, I've managed to fix a few weird artifacts on a drum session I just did. One was a loud digital pop in the middle of a Tom hit that I don't think I could have fixed otherwise. Anyway, I'm glad I have it now and look forward to using it more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no new file created

Hi,

After reading this informative and interesting post, I then tried to follow the manual 'Soundtrack Pro 3 user manual' which reads,

1. In Logic Pro, select the track you wish to edit in Soundtrack Pro
2. Choose Options > Audio > Open in Soundtrack Pro (or press Shift-W).
3. A copy of the original audio file is made, and a new audio file project is created in Soundtrack Pro. The new audio file project is automatically named the name of the sent track, with the file extension .stap.

I have found this does not happen a '.stap' file is not created. Any clues please?

Thanks

The STP user manual also says:

4, In Soundtrack Pro, do one of the following:

Choose File > Save to save the audio file project along with a flattened version of the source audio clip in the same location as the source audio clip.

Choose File > Save As, then navigate to a location to save the project to a different location.

When you return to Logic Pro, the clip is updated.

But it is not updating. The file remains the same, so to speak. I assume its because I need to convert the file but then would it say that in the manual?

Anyway, life goes on

to be honest when i just converted the audio from logic to STP it did save as a .stap file so the first problem seems solved, now to get the converted file back into Logic

dont mean to hijack my own posts but yes I did need to convert the .stap back to an .aif, so problem solved, I think, and it was worth it! Cheers!

Back