Logic Pro 9 Velocity change when gluing regions together

fishhead

When I glue 2 regions together from the same instance in the arrange page, the velocities of all the notes change to 127. And I lose all my dynamics of the part. Hoping somebody can help me with this one. New to the group.

Not sure if this explains your situation, but: Region Parameter Box values get normalized when you merge regions together

So, let's say for example that you have regions with lots of low velocities, and you are using the region playback parameters to add positive velocity offsets to them; when you glue/merge them together, the velocity offsets will become normalized and imbedded as part of the newly created data in the merged region.

Is it possible this is what is happening?

Upvote 0
Not sure if this explains your situation, but: Region Parameter Box values get normalized when you merge regions together

That's waht i thought too.

The notes values in the event list would change, possible to 127 of the value in the RPB plus the individaul not values exceed 126.

But there should be no difference in sound if this happens, they would aleready be at maximum velocity.

Upvote 0
Sorry Eli, What I mean is, I have one region for my Keyswitch notes and another region for my played part. Both are the same Audio Instrument. Generally, I just create a quick note at bar 1, beat 1 in step mode at 127 velocity. The played part will have dynamic range. I don't generally alter the region parameters though maybe I should. I go into the piano roll and tweak my velocities for feel and positioning. The strange thing is, if I copy the notes from the played part into the region with the keyswitch notes, the dynamic range stays as is. It's only when I glue the 2 regions together that the velocities max out. I'm going to experiment with the region parameters. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Fishhead,

Are you sure it is velocities that are being affected and not volume (or something else)? Take a look at the merged problematic region in the Event List and see if the velocities are in fact all changed and pinned at 127. I suspect it may not be note velocities that are the issue. My suspicion is based on the fact that when there are no region parameter box offsets involved, note velocities simply are not altered when merged with other regions.

Is it possible you have some Region Based (not track based) automation on the key switch region?

Upvote 0
. It's only when I glue the 2 regions together that the velocities max out. I'm going to experiment with the region parameters. Thanks

This is odd if you haven't used the region parameters.

The parameter for velocity will add an overall velocity for that region, so if, for example, you van some notes ranging from a velocity of 1 to 127, then if you use a region parameter of say, 64, all the notes with a velocity of over 63 will become 127 (they can't go above that)

So if your note velocity ranges were between 63 and 127, they would indeed all max out when you either normalise the parameter or merge the regions.

But as you haven't used region parameters, it's odd that this maxing out is happening.

Upvote 0
When I glue 2 regions together from the same instance in the arrange page, the velocities of all the notes change to 127. And I lose all my dynamics of the part. Hoping somebody can help me with this one. New to the group.
I'm kind of numb on that one...
Keyswitch vs played part? Instances?
Could you please post a picture of your Arrange page showing the regions involved (ideally before and after the glue process) AND showing your parameter box when each of the involved regions are selected.
A listing of your setup (OS, Logic version, etc) in your signature could also be of some help...

Upvote 0
Back