Logic Pro 9 VOCAL RECORDING DELAY IN LOGIC 9. HELP!

djjazzyd

Logician
hey guys im hoping you guys can help me on this one
I have Logic 9 and i have been trying to record vocals as well as trying to record a bassline from the keyboard but somehow there is a delay can someone please assist me on how to get rid of the delay,
im using a mackie spike soundcard
2ghz intel core 2 duo
1gb 667mhz ddr2 sdram
Imac

regards Jazzy

Delay is a very common word in audio, please specify:
Do you hear a time based delay effect like delay-lay?
Or does your monitoring signal come with a dealy, means too late?
Or is the recorded track behind the time, not properly placed?

Upvote 0
hi peter
my monitoring sound comes to late
and it throws my vocalist off.
when you play a key it comes through in real time but has a delay after
so when u listen to your recording its terribly off
hope u can assist

Upvote 0
hi peter
my monitoring sound comes to late
and it throws my vocalist off.
when you play a key it comes through in real time but has a delay after
so when u listen to your recording its terribly off
hope u can assist

It sounds as if you are monitoring through logic with a buffer I/O value that is high enough to cause a noticeable delay. Try to lower this. Alternatively, depending on your equipment, you might be better off monitoring through your audio hardware.

Feel free to write some system details, including your Mac, OS version, Audio Hardware and the Buffer I/O size. You can find it under preferences ->audio ->devices

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
hi mark

im using a mackie spike soundcard
2ghz intel core 2 duo
1gb 667mhz ddr2 sdram
Imac

i have tried reducing an increasing the buffer size as someone has advice me to do that, they also told me to uncheck software monitoring and that has taken the delay away and it sounds great when we record, but now when i listen to the result of the recording it comes out with distortion and clicks.

my buffer size is at 512
i have also checked the low latency
just have to sort out the sound quality
any advice?

Upvote 0
If you only have 1 GB of RAM, first thing is to put more in - as much as you can afford/or your Mac will take. 2 GB will be way better than 1. 4 GB will be even better than that.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
ok i will definately upgrade to 2gb ram
im currently having one track open and it still does the screeching
do u think its a memory issue with just one track open to record vocals?

Upvote 0
Do you have a reason to monitor through the computer? The Mackie Spike should have good monitoring options, at least accoding to the description. I haven't read the manual yet.

The best way to monitor the recording signal is before the interface but not everyone has the facility to do this. The second best way is monitoring directly from the audio interface. Interface manufacturers call this "direct monitoring" although it is not really direct. Mackie says "low latency monitoring" and this is correct. You should use it instead of sending your monitoring sound on this long path through the computer and the software and back out.

Upvote 0
On the mackie spike there is a knob called mix to the left is direct and to the right is usb if i record with the knob set at 12 o clock i get a massive distortion, when i record with the knob on the left to Direct the recording comes out perfect only bad part is that you cannot hear the other tracks you want to sing or play a bassline over while recording.
i need to figure out how to get the other tracks to play and enjoy a quality recording.

Upvote 0
mark my microphone is in a enclosed area 4 metres away from my speakers
not feedback of mic being loud but more like a distorted noise
it does the same on my guitar and my keyboard but only on playback of recording

Upvote 0
Just to rule out the obvious - do you have any plug ins on the main output? This could explain both your problems - the latency and the distortion.

Upvote 0
Back