Logic Pro X Volume difficulties

Tom Senff

Logician
I'm still having volume ( gain ) problems with my recording....... I'm working on a library of tunes for 5 trombones and rhythm section...... when I try to regulate or change the gain on ANY track it just doesn't work...... it seems to me that in the past, when I would change the volume level from within the piano roll or with the automation feature, the volume change would be readily available and hearable but I can try to change the volume with either of these methods to almost no avail!! It almost makes no difference at all!! What am I doing wrong? Everything else I'm trying to do with the project seems to be working fine........ BTW I have all the volume sliders in the mixer set to 0.0 across the board......

I'm using the latest version of LOGIC PRO on a MAC with the latest updates.......

Frustrated,

tom

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Mhm, you really should know which plugins you use.
First check the plugins in the output channelstrip, then in aux channelstrips (if you have some), and finally in the instrument channelstrips. If there is a limiter or strong compressor which already works around or above it's threshold, it holds the level down. If this is the case, you must adjust or remove it. You may find more than one if you loaded predefined settings and didn't look what you got.

Alternatively you can systematically disable plugins by alt-clicking on them. If the sound goes suddenly louder, then you found the right one.

Tom Senff

Logician
To my knowledge, I've never used a plugin....... haven't really advanced to that point....... I just tried to look for whatever plugins I could find and found none....... where are they?

Thanks, tom

Tom Senff

Logician
Peter, I've achieved a whole new level of incompetence........ in searching for the elusive plugins, I managed to totally freeze out my document that I'd finished and have this on my screen........ I can't get back to my document....... here's a screen shot......... how do I get back to the tracks?

Tom Senff

Logician
Peter, I just tried to send the screen shot and got the message that the file was too big........ my screen says at the top.... piano, and at the bottom,, EXS24. I can't figure out how to get back into the document......

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Your description does not give me any clue about what's going on in your Logic.

Sorry, you should find a way to upload the screenshot. You can use an image upload service and link to the image here in the forum:

Tom Senff

Logician
I tried to download the Postimage.org app and the package would not open....... I don't understand why the screenshot was too large to send you...... I'll try again....... nope....... it won't go through...... I'll try the other one.....

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
App download? What are you talking about?
  1. Go to postimages.org
  2. tell them to resize your picture to 800x600
  3. upload your image
  4. copy the "Direct link" (2nd line) they give you
  5. post it here with the image-function in the toolbar of the editor.
Like I did just now with this lovely bird:

You can do this also, but please with your Logic screenshot.
Not another bird.

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Ok.

As I see in the Logic menu, you are on screenset number 4.
Please show me the screenset with the mixer (select it in the menu).

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see anything causing a potential volume problem. The only compressor is in the EXS channelstrip. But you said trombones and all your trombones are in Aria players. Overall volume must rise if you increase the volume in the Aria mixer or with the fader of the Logic channelstrip or if you insert a Logic Gain plugin.

Increasing velocity in piano roll or score is a different thing, I believe we talked about that already. It can change the tonal character.

Hearing small volume changes in a row of trombones may be difficult. I suggest to solo one trombone, move the Aria mixer fader, move the logic fader. If you see (level meters) and hear volume changes, you are at least sure that the system works.

If the level of all trombones is far too low, you can insert Logic Gain plugins in all trombone channels to increase the level before the volume fader.

(Just a hint: When you don't post images here but rather use text links only (which is ok), you can let the images bigger on their server. Easier to inspect. I can read the tiny words and plugin names, but I know what I expect to read ;-)

Tom Senff

Logician
Thanks again, Peter........ I have figured out that I must change the volume settings within the Aria players........ particularly the bass part. I will try to tweak these with the volume faders as you recommend...... it just frustrates me that I used to be able to make easy changes with the automation tool within the tracks themselves but seem to be no longer able to do that........ drastic changes I make have almost NO effect.......

Thanks again!!

tom

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
If the level is far too low, I would use the Gain Plugin right after the Aria, to get a "healthy" level to work with.

"Automation tool", as you call it, is nothing of itself. It operates plugin parameters or channelstrip elements, that's it. You can automate the Aria faders (if they don't refuse) or the Logic volume faders. But if you are -12 dB too low, the +6 dB of the volume fader don't help much, automation or not. Then insert a Gain Plugin, set the level for example to +12 dB, the volume fader back to 0 and now automate the volume. Or the Aria fader. Or the gain in the Gain plugin. Just find the point where you feel comfortable.