Logic Pro 9 VSL not showing up - must be something simple

marksealey

Logician
Have just successfully installed VSL Special Edition on an external HD.

When I start Logic Pro 9 and go to Preferences > Audio Units Manager 'Vienna Instruments' shows up at the bottom of the list as 'successfully validated'.

New to this... shouldn't the instruments appear in my Library - as the Jam Packs and Garageband ones do?

What am I doing wrong?

TIA!

Are you looking in the right place?

Look at your channel strip, either in the Inspector or the Mixer or Environment.
Click-hold on the I/O slot. You'll see the usual selection of Logic instrumnets (EFM1/EXS24/Ultrabeat etc etc). Look further down and you'll see [AU Instruments]. Choose that, and then move to VSL. You should see Vienna Instruments in that section - choose it, and the Vienna Instrument interface should open . . after a long time possibly, depending on how many VSL libraries you have.

Upvote 0
Are you looking in the right place?
No, I wasn't! Thanks. Wow. Yes; there it is :) That's b/c the VSL Libraries are plugins?

How can I 'save' such instruments?

There's no way to have them behave like those in the Library?
Look at your channel strip, either in the Inspector or the Mixer or Environment. Click-hold on the I/O slot. You'll see the usual selection of Logic instrumnets (EFM1/EXS24/Ultrabeat etc etc). Look further down and you'll see [AU Instruments]. Choose that, and then move to VSL. You should see Vienna Instruments in that section - choose it, and the Vienna Instrument interface should open...
It does. How do I now assign an instrument to a Track? Or should I really at this point get to grips with the VSL interface?

BTW, since I thought this might be a 32-bit vs 64 bit issue, it shows two sets of 'Instruments' and 'Generators' at the bottom - one for 32 and one not. How do I get rid of the 32-bit, since I usually run LP in 64?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• 32and.gif
    32and.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0
Yes the duplication is correct, but it really ISN'T a duplication, there are 2 different plug-ins there: a 32 bit one, and a 64 bit one.

One thing to remember: 64 bit compatibility was "tacked on" to Logic Pro during V9. I imagine that when we get Logic Pro 10 (or whatever name the call it, Logic Super Pro 1 for example) this will be a preference, but then again, knowing Apple and Logic, it will not be until V 11 ;-).

Upvote 0
That's b/c the VSL Libraries are plugins?

Correct.
The original VSL library was a sample library and loaded into EXS24 or Kontakt. Now the library has its own player, which is called Vienna Instruments (VI) - a free plugin that loads the VSL orchestra. There's also a more-equipped version called Vienna Instruments Pro:
http://www.viennainstrumentspro.com/

How can I 'save' such instruments?
You can save custom matrices and presets in the VI plugin. You can't save or alter patches.

You can also save your settings for the whole VI in Logic as you would normally do.

There's no way to have them behave like those in the Library?
Not sure what you mean....

How do I now assign an instrument to a Track?
By selecting VI, you have assigned VI already. You select the actual instruments in the VI plugin interface.

Or should I really at this point get to grips with the VSL interface?
That's absolutely essential.....
The plugin is not like any of Logic's plugins so you'll have to learn exactly how it works. Read up about the Patch (the smallest unit), the Matrix (combination of patches, often controlled by keyswitches) and the Preset (a combination of Matrices).

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0
You can also save your settings for the whole VI in Logic as you would normally do.
Thanks. That's what I really meant by having VSL instruments "behave like those in the Library".
  1. Using the Channel Strip 'Save As'?
  2. Where would be a good place to save them?
The plugin is not like any of Logic's plugins so you'll have to learn exactly how it works. Read up about the Patch (the smallest unit), the Matrix (combination of patches, often controlled by keyswitches) and the Preset (a combination of Matrices).
Will do. It threw me at first b/c I hadn't seen any reference to this as the way to do it. Thanks to you, it's all very clear now. Much appreciated. I'm still relatively (< six months) new to Logic... and loving it.

Once again - many thanks!

Upvote 0
That's what I really meant by having VSL instruments "behave like those in the Library".
  1. Using the Channel Strip 'Save As'?
  2. Where would be a good place to save them?

You could save the whole channel strip, but that will of course save any other effects and plugins as well. If you want to go "smaller" and just save the setting for Vienna Instruments (or any plugin for that matter), then you use the Setting menu near the top of the plugin window.

For example, I've saved a Setting called [Test setting]:
VSL_shot.png

So, the Setting menu is between the little arrows and the Copy button. Click-hold on it and you'll see...

The difficulty with Vienna Instruments is that it opens the plugin almost as a separate app from Logic. So, you have to click on [Show window] and the VI interface opens in its own window. To get back to Logic, you need to bring Logic back to the "front", either by clicking on a Logic window, or using Command-Tab.

VI Pro is better as it functions as a "normal" plugin, within Logic.

As for where to save the settings, Logic by default will create a folder here:
Yourdrive/Users/yourname/Library/Audio/Presets/VSL/Vienna Instruments

Might as well use it...

Upvote 0
Colin,

Can't quite find the trick with keyswitching yet. Can change between articulations with CC1. But not yet by penciling in C0, C#0 in the PianoRoll!

Specifically, I don't understand the relationship (or need for) the two places where keys seem to be assigned: on the left under the matrix and in the right in Control Edit for H-Span or V-Span.

At this point, to make it clear to myself, all I want to set up is a two cell matrix for, say, strings with 'Legato' vs 'Pizzicato'.

...just save the setting for Vienna Instruments (or any plugin for that matter), then you use the Setting menu near the top of the plugin window...
All appreciated. I think I'm making progress.

The difficulty with Vienna Instruments is that it opens the plugin almost as a separate app from Logic. So, you have to click on [Show window] and the VI interface opens in its own window. To get back to Logic, you need to bring Logic back to the "front", either by clicking on a Logic window, or using Command-Tab. VI Pro is better as it functions as a "normal" plugin, within Logic.
Thanks. Yes, I wasn't expecting that. Got it; here. Is it really worth the $150?

Upvote 0
Can't quite find the trick with keyswitching yet. Can change between articulations with CC1. But not yet by penciling in C0, C#0 in the PianoRoll!

The problem here is that Logic and VSL differ on where MIDI notes are defined. If you use C-1 and C#-1, that should work. (This has to do with a historical problem between Roland and Yamaha regarding how middle C was defined in the MIDI spec.)

Specifically, I don't understand the relationship (or need for) the two places where keys seem to be assigned: on the left under the matrix and in the right in Control Edit for H-Span or V-Span.

Usually, the keyswitches under the matrix list (C0, C#0 etc) are to switch matrices. The keyswitches that may be set in the control edit section are for switches to different patches within each matrix.

By the way, I'd suggest that you join the Vienna forums. They are generally VERY helpful there and far more knowledgeable than me. The VSL team themselves often post there (unlike any Apple/Logic folks who will never be seen here). There are lots of tips and tricks on the VSL forums and you'll find answers to problems you haven't even encountered yet....

Re VI Pro:
I'd say you should get used to the VI interface and use it for a while. Then look at what VI Pro offers and decide later. VI Pro offers a lot more, especially with the new package (Dimension Brass) and probably with forthcoming releases.

Upvote 0
Colin,

That was it. I thought I'd set it an octave higher. Thanks.
...The problem here is that Logic and VSL differ on where MIDI notes are defined. If you use C-1 and C#-1, that should work.

Thanks. Yes; have done so. Will also take your advice re VI Pro.

My only question now is, once I've got all of this working, how much of it can I save with my Logic project; and how? I don't want to have to go through all this setup (fun thought it's been - thanks - each time). I can see how to save the VI settings. But they aren't (necessarily) saved with the Channelstrip and (hence?) with the Project, are they?

By the way, I'd suggest that you join the Vienna forums...

Upvote 0
Logic saves everything when you save a song - well that's the theory at least. (I say that because there have been occasional reports of this not working fully.)

Even without specifically saving a Setting in a plugin, or saving a channel strip, everything will be remembered for next time.

Upvote 0
OK. I ask because I haven't tried it yet and was imagining that it could hardly save settings which required me to ...click and Hold ESX24 in the Channel strip, then open the VI Window etc!

Thanks so much!

Logic saves everything when you save a song - well that's the theory at least. (I say that because there have been occasional reports of this not working fully.) Even without specifically saving a Setting in a plugin, or saving a channel strip, everything will be remembered for next time.

Upvote 0
Back