Logic Pro 7 & earlier Weird behaviour in EVP88

chickenbackside

How many times does one get to open the very first thread in a section of a forum? Guess today's my lucky day.

I've been living with this one for a while now.

I'm on Logic 7 pro, updated to the latest version, running Tiger 10.4.11 on a dual 2.5GHZ G5 Macpro with 8GB of RAM.

My setup is basically flawless except for this one thing. The tremolo stereo spread knob in EVP88 has a mind of it's own.

I set it at 4pm, it will jump to 9am when I start playing the song. I try to force it to obey by drawing in automation, sometimes it works, while most times, it still does its own thing.

It's very frustrating. Anyone has any clue as to how to solve this one?

And once again, I opened this section with this post! Haha...

Check to see that you don't accidentally have some hyper draw automation inadvertently competing with track automation. That could cause the erratic behavior you are describing. Although, it's hard for it to happen "by accident".

Upvote 0
Yes, it happens with a brand new file. Sometimes the knob will stay where I want it. But most times it has a mind of its own.

And there is definitely no automation of any kind in the track. And even when I use automation to "force" the knob to stay, it still moves around by itself.

It's crazy.

Upvote 0
What automation mode do you have the track in? Is it in Read, write, latch, touch, off? If it is in touch, latch, or write - you may be creating an automation node as you twist the knob even though the transport may not be running.

When you encounter the problem, go into automation view and verify if there is any automation present.

Upvote 0
Yes, it happens with a brand new file. Sometimes the knob will stay where I want it. But most times it has a mind of its own.

And there is definitely no automation of any kind in the track. And even when I use automation to "force" the knob to stay, it still moves around by itself.

It's crazy.

Eli's suggestions are good. If those don't solve the problem, try this: the Tremolo stereophase is controlled by CC 84, and also by Fader 20. Check your sequence for events of either of these types.
Also check that your controller keyboard is not inadvertently sending CC 84. I had a problem with a mod wheel once which would spew out random values. It just needed to be cleaned.
Hopefully one of these strategies will help...

Upvote 0
What automation mode do you have the track in? Is it in Read, write, latch, touch, off? If it is in touch, latch, or write - you may be creating an automation node as you twist the knob even though the transport may not be running.

When you encounter the problem, go into automation view and verify if there is any automation present.
It's in "Read" mode. I do go in and check everytime it happens. 2 situations that it will happen.

1) When automation is off. I turn the stereo phase knob to 2pm, then press play and I can actually see the knob jump back to 9am. I then turn on automation to "Read" mode just to see if there's anything on it. There's nothing.

2) When I set the stereo phase automation to force the knob to stay. I will draw the line at say 80% for the stereo phase. When I press play, the automation says 80% but the knob jumps back to 9am, WHILE PLAYING the automation. In other words, it totally ignores the automation (set in "Read" mode).

Eli's suggestions are good. If those don't solve the problem, try this: the Tremolo stereophase is controlled by CC 84, and also by Fader 20. Check your sequence for events of either of these types.
Also check that your controller keyboard is not inadvertently sending CC 84. I had a problem with a mod wheel once which would spew out random values. It just needed to be cleaned.
Hopefully one of these strategies will help...
Hmm, I'll definitely check this out and report back!

Thanks everyone for your kind help!

Upvote 0
Back