Logic Studio apps What is icluded with Logic when purchased, & what is discontinued?

jonperl

Logician
Now that Logic studio is $199 from the app store with Mainstage sold separately, I wonder what the fate of Compressor, Apple Loops Utility and Impulse Response Utility are? I assume that Compressor is just a separate $49 purchase .. . But what of the other two?

It seems that STP and Waveburner are completely discontinued - correct?

JP

Now that Logic studio is $199 from the app store with Mainstage sold separately, I wonder what the fate of Compressor, Apple Loops Utility and Impulse Response Utility are? I assume that Compressor is just a separate $49 purchase .. . But what of the other two?

Impulse Response Utility is "built-in" to Logic. In other words, I think it is still a standalone app, but it's part of Space Designer (there is an "Open in IR Utility" command in the UI). So it's still there.

Apple Loops Utility was part of Soundtrack.

Compressor is $49.

It seems that STP and Waveburner are completely discontinued - correct?

It does seem that way. Both, however, still work in Lion, so it's not like you can't use them. You just can't buy them.

FWIW, I think Soundtrack Pro is a horrid, wretched, unusable piece of software, and I'm glad to see it go. Waveburner was really nice, however. But it's pretty clear with Apple removing optical drives from their machines, not selling iDVD in the Mac App Store, DVD Studio Pro being discontinued, that Apple is simply moving away from optical media.

Orren

Thanks Orren - that appears to be it in a nutshell. I too hated STP for most things, though there are -- er, were -- a few features in the 'wave editor' that might nicely migrate to Logic's SE: interleaved multichannel support, offline processing w all plug-ins (including clip automation)....

Hi Orren,

So, does that mean the Apple Loops Utility will be gone? I know it's too early to know for sure. But it sure would be a shame to lose it.

And going by your Impulse response Utility theory (that it is accessible from within Space Designer so therefore will still be included) maybe the same can be said for the Apple Loops Utility. Because iti is accessible from Logic's menus, hopefully it will still be included.

So, does that mean the Apple Loops Utility will be gone? I know it's too early to know for sure. But it sure would be a shame to lose it.

I've no idea.

But I do know that the ALU was written by the Final Cut team in the USA that wrote Soundtrack Pro, not the Logic team in Germany.

The thing is, the loss of STP, Waveburner, possibly ALU, while some of it may be sad, it also opens up opportunities. What about building in some of the STP or Wavebender features that were cool? Or ALU features? I have no idea what's coming, but you never know.

Orren

Back