Logic Pro 9 What is the logic behind using Logic

I'm a singer/songwriter/producer with a background in project management and I've been using Protools for my production work for about 10 years. I am wondering what the logic is behind using Logic instead of Protools.

Ummmm, every tool has it's uses. Some people love Ableton Live some Pro-Tools, some are really liking Propeller Heads Record DAW...
Logic has some amazing synth plug-ins that rival any 3rd party bundles and feature an array of really useful plug-ins and now amp simulators for the Guitar players out there...
There are a hundred reasons to use any program over another.
You just have to pick one & see if it lives up to your needs and expectations... :thmbup:

Charlie

Upvote 0
I switch because I thought Logic more adequate from the arranger's point of view. More plug-ins, better MIDI and that stuff. Music sheet at the time.

I had Pro-Tools LE, but some features were missing. To get the real thing, I would of have to buy expensive Hardware. Pro-Tools have a non-compatibility approach that makes me dependant on them (hardware, RTAS Plug-ins).

I guess that's why I switch, but I like Pro-Tools too. I think it better fits the sound tech frame of mind.

Upvote 0
Logic

One important consideration is that you are asking this on a Logic Users group. So any answer you get may be 'Logic-centric' or display a certain bias towards the use of Logic.

Logic is a Mac OS only application, and there are some benefits to having a DAW that is supported by and developed by the designer of the OS. There is a certain Mac-like 'feel' or sensibility inherent in Logic IMO. Apple also bundles some really useful helper applications with Logic. You could say that ProTools has an advantage being cross platform, but in my opinion it's probably an advantage to be Mac only.

Logic is much more of a composition environment also, many users feel that Pro Tools strength lies in it's audio editing. Logic's strength is in it's creative tools. Logic has some very unique plug-ins, like Delay Designer, Sculpture Physical Modeling synth, Match EQ, and the Apple Loops loop editing and browsing system to make it uniquely powerful. There is nothing in Pro Tools as powerful as Ultrabeat, you get Boom for free but to get a really powerful drum composer you have to buy Strike or something third-party. You have to pay extra for vintage keys or a good sampler in Pro Tools. If you're a guitar player there is nothing like Amp Designer in Pro Tools, to get even close you have to buy more software. There is really nothing in Pro tools like the Channel Strip system, which allows you to instantly grab very useful starting points for composing, and allows you to save your favorite presets. Apple pioneered 'Quick-Swipe' comp'ing and Take Folder editing which are very powerful time saving editing features.

I could go on and on : )

Great page to look at for info on stuff that is unique to Logic:

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/whats-new/200plus-features.html

Upvote 0
I'm a singer/songwriter/producer with a background in project management and I've been using Protools for my production work for about 10 years. I am wondering what the logic is behind using Logic instead of Protools.

The logic behind it is that the real differences between overpriced, host based systems and native systems have to do with features, stability, user interface etc.; it's not about needing those extra cards to get enough DSP anymore, which is why there's no need to pay for them, and at the same time *not* get access to support for interleaved files, faster offline bouncing and dynamic DSP allocation - all features that aren't technically possible to implement in the high end version of Pro Tools.

So much for Pro Tools HD. The native PT versions don't perform nearly as good as Logic, and is in several ways 'crippled'.

Plus: Logic is owned and developed by Apple, which bodes well for future compatibility etc. Compatibility may already be an issue with PT, because it seems that Logic on Mac has as many users as the four Pro Tools versions summed (TDM/Mac, TDM/PC, LE/Mac, LE/PC.)

Upvote 0
Hi Johnnie,

I used Logic since V.2, then 4 years ago I was forced to start operating a commercial studio based around Pro Tools, which I now use every day, so I have a pretty good sense of both apps. Pro Tools is awesome for editing audio clips and sounds great for mixing, but Logic is much more musical, IMO, so I still use L8 for composing music, then stem out the tracks and mix in Pro Tools. I know that if you get used to using Pro Tools for composing, you can feel quite comfortable (I'm going to guess that's partly because of the great sound) but after all those years on Logic I'm just waaay faster composing on it. I love the huge selection of instruments available in Logic, the ease and power of EXS24 as a sampler, and the manipulability of musical arranging, chopping and moving pieces around as necessary. In Pro Tools I prefer the power of the automation and, as I said, the sound. (When I first started, I took a project, stemmed out the tracks, then imported them into Logic and Pro Tools one after the other. Combining the tracks flat, with no effects, the Pro Tools mix sounded considerably better. Having said that, I haven't tried this for 4 years now, and maybe the mathematics in Logic have improved..?)

I'm curious, why did you ask the question? Are you considering changing, or are you just exasperated that so many other composers you meet don't use Pro Tools?

Upvote 0
A couple things. Logic developed from a MIDI sequencer. ProTools developed from an audio editor. What you are witnessing now is the inevitable convergence of these technologies.

That said, my personal opinion is that Logic is still the best MIDI sequencer on the planet, despite my occasional bitching. And I am happy with the audio editing capability of Logic enough not to feel like I'm missing something foregoing ProTools.

My main criticism right now of a similarly priced ProTools rig as that the non-HD version does not offer automatic delay compensation. Logic does. Because of the amount of processing I do in the box, this is and will always be a deal killer for ProTools LE when it comes to my needs. Yes there are workarounds for this (inserting a UAD plugin will force delay compensation on the channel, and there are dedicated solutions to address this problem; but these are kluges to me and in the end would annoy me a lot, I think).

Other posts here do a good job analyzing the cost-value comparison between Logic and ProTools HD (which I think is the appropriate comparison to make, even though one is native and one is not), so I'll leave that subject alone.

Upvote 0
I work in audio post as a sound editor and mixer and I use PT every day, I also write music and perform live with Logic.

I guess the simplest way to think of it is that Pro Tools is a multitrack hooked up to a mixer type working method, whereas Logic is full on MIDI sequencer with audio capability. The two programs have been designed from opposite points of view and have now sort of met in the middle. IMHO Logic is better for composition, arrangement and editing of MIDI, dealing with software and hardware instruments and live performance, whereas PT is better with recording and editing audio (ie simpler but powerful) and its automation system is brilliant. I understand PT8 (everywhere I work is still on a variant of PT7) is much better on the MIDI side now, but I'd imagine still nowhere near as comprehensive as Logic. Logics bundled instruments and plug-ins are brilliant and also all the loops are useful, and if you if you are performing live Mainstage is fantastic as it does away with the sequencer and lets you use all the software instruments and plug-ins like hardware. Good value compared to PT LE as well, although you still have to get an audio interface (at least you can buy one of your choice). I guess the cons with Logic is it can be a bit overly complex at times, but Apple have really streamlined it lately without really diminishing it's power so things better these days. That said if you don't need all the advanced stuff PT LE is probably fine. It's really up to what you want to do.

Upvote 0
Logic is a full package, you don't need anything else. None of the competition has that. One thing to consider is how well do the people who advice you know the programs that they advocate for. To many people the best program will be the one that is the simplest. Logic is (and especially was) quite the other way around. You simply can't get as many possibilities as Logic offers without spending some time reading manuals etc.
In the end no program will get you all the way, if you have great ideas all programs will do. If you don't nothing will.
I chose Logic, switched platform to stay with it even though the program cost 3 times as much at that time but I know a lot of people who does great work in PT, it's all in your mind.

Upvote 0
Back