Logic Pro 8 What is this!?

TmHuud

Logician
Hey all - this is driving me absolutley nuts. My bar numbers are scrambled and my audio window shows some weird font. What cann this possibly be? If I open a new song its ok for awhile and then I think once saved or somewhere during the day it goes nuts again.

Any help greatly appreciated.
(LOgic 7.2.3-Mac OSX-Tiger-MacPro)

--Terry Michael Huud
Latest Interview:
http://filmandgamecomposers.com/blog/?p=502
Additional Interviews:
http://www.buysoundtrax.com/larsons_soundtrax_10_27_2008.html
www.Music4TheMovies.com
www.MySpace.com/terryhuud (fan site)
www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/

Attachments

• doria.jpg
    doria.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 248
look at you! Using all the proper quote formats you - you Forum guru you.

I see so key commands can still be assigned to change to different windows i guess. This will all be very interesting to say the least... Thanks for taking the the time to write.

Upvote 0
Eli, Why would that be? i.e. why would one wish to ultimately go with Logics Key Commands?

Of course no one "has to" go with them. It's just that there are new assignments in L8 that take over some keys. ...It's almost like it's better to either fully acquiesce and absorb the new workflow / key commands. ... And yes, you're right - I teach and do a lot of tech support on Logic, and the uniform key commands are a big plus in that regard. That made switching a no brainer for me personally.

I agree with all of Eli's points. And let me add a few other reasons that starting with the Logic 8 default key commands is a good idea:

• As Eli said, some of the key commands now are "hard wired" to match Mac OS X guidelines. In fact, this is the most "Mac OS X native" version of Logic ever; as such, that means that it's safe to assume the Logic 8 defaults will remain unchanged for many years, through many future versions. Getting used to them now is an investment that will last.

• It's not only a good idea for tech support purposes; if you start your own key commands with the default set, the odds are far higher that other users, studios, and so on will have the same system, saving you time of having to continually load and unload your own custom set, etc. It also means you can take advantage of things like the KB Covers Logic Keyboard cover, a very cheap silicon keyboard cover that uses the default Logic 8 set:
http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=134
LOG-K-BC_2_Thumb.gif

(as a disclosure, I helped design this cover, but I did it for no money, and I get no royalties-I just wanted to help design something quality and useful)

So I highly recommend starting from the default Logic 8 set, and then adding key commands for commands that you use that aren't part of the default set.

Orren

Upvote 0
[already managed to get OT]

I'll give the defaults a try - but... I've been using Logic this way for soooo long. I'm also one of those people who shhhhhh (am beginning to doubt the future of Logic)

Hey Orren - your Forum for Ember After is still under construction? Man - thats just a sign that your spending way too much time here! ;) Just curious what do you think of your Limbit player? I've had it with my 'Wimpy' Player (http://www.music4themovies.com)

Upvote 0
I'll give the defaults a try - but... I've been using Logic this way for soooo long. I'm also one of those people who shhhhhh (am beginning to doubt the future of Logic)

I understand. :)

But when it comes to doubting, I don't doubt. Even a little bit. :) I'm actually more optimistic than I've been in ages. Logic 8 is the best version of Logic yet. It's clearly the beginning of a "future-ready platform" not simply a few more features and loops added to Logic 7 (that doesn't mean it's bug free, or squashes all old bugs, just that there's been a redesign of important elements). Also, Apple has partnered with some very high-end companies like Apogee and Euphonix; this isn't something you do if you expect to drop the product, or just let it wither on the vine. Yes, it sucks that Apple itself isn't communicative, etc. And I understand that the "code of silence" leads to doubt. I don't blame anyone for having doubts. But seriously, when you look at the evidence, it's clear that even if it takes a while, and even if Apple is silent, I know they're doing something. :)

Hey Orren - your Forum for Ember After is still under construction? Man - thats just a sign that your spending way too much time here! ;)

Must be! ;) It's also a sign that when I decided that a forum for the site might be a good idea, I was also putting that there to gauge interest...so far, there isn't really a huge clamoring for an Ember After forum. Maybe one day! :D

Just curious what do you think of your Nimbit player? I've had it with my 'Wimpy' Player (http://www.music4themovies.com)

It's fine. It lets me stream entire songs, so I can let people listen to the whole album for free, which I like. And they can buy songs at 320kbps, which is a better compression rate than either Amazon or iTunes. But ultimately, none of them are that great, because they don't offer the sort of seamless shopping cart of the major stores like Amazon or iTunes. Ultimately, most of the digital downloads I've sold have been iTunes anyway.

Orren

Upvote 0
A warning about installing Logic 8:
This used to wipe out certain EXS instruments and kits - only a few eg Pop Flute.

I don't know if its fixed but it's worth making a backup of your EXS Instruments and Samples folders before installing.

Upvote 0
Back