Logic Pro 7 & earlier Why would a PCI card not work in a similar G4?

Pands

Logician
Why would an Audio Interface PCI card work in one Mac G4, but not in a newer, similar computer?

My Sonorus STUDI/O audio interface card has been working great in my G4 450 (AGP), through various MacOS versions, now in OS 9.2.2, using LOGIC Pro 6.

Putting the card in a Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25 Ghz (MDD Mirror Drive Door), the card is recognized by Apple System Profiler, but Logic abruptly quits without explanation as soon as it starts up and tries to acknowledge and integrate the card.

Throwing away Logic's Preferences will let me successfully start up LOGIC, and choosing the basic MacAV as the audio engine will work just fine (so it's not the application itself that's broken). But if I specify the STUDI/O, as soon as I relaunch LOGIC to activate that choice, the program just quits without explanation again.

Same system (OS 9.2.2) as in the G4 450 (except that the Mirror Drive's OS 9 was a slightly newer, machine-specific build).
No special drivers needed, as LOGIC supports the card directly.
I tried all available PCI slots, with no difference.

So why would a PCI card suddenly not work at all in a newer, but comparable Mac? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

Additional bit: The STUDI/O card is not supported in OS X, and Sonorus has closed its doors. So there's no help forthcoming from that direction. But in OS 9, everything should be good to go. Could a somewhat newer, faster computer like the Dual 1.25 really have that much of a detrimental impact on a PCI card?

Could a somewhat newer, faster computer like the Dual 1.25 really have that much of a detrimental impact on a PCI card?

Yes. Sounds like the PCI card was designed before the technology of the G4. How old a card is it?

Ever considered an interface built in this century?

Upvote 0
I think the card is from 1999. It's been working superbly on the G4 450. (But apparently not so much on the better, almost-end-of-line G4).

Ever considered an interface built in this century?

Considered? Yes. It all comes down to managing expenses, and trying to use what's currently stable and working. But you're probably right. My hand may be forced here. Two days of tests and research into the matter seem to indicate: in this (for me) upgraded computer, the STUDI/O simply ain't gonna work.

In any case, thanks for your perspective.

Upvote 0
Back