Logic Pro (X) Window size and position

It does not in my case. The windows come up always much larger than how I saved them. Mix and Edit windows always overlap too.

Upvote 0
Sure. It are the screen sets. This is by user KenKennedy:

"Choose any screenset number (press any number 1-9 to select), then arrange the screen how you want it..
Once you've got it how you want it, go to screensets again and lock it."

Upvote 0
Sure. It are the screen sets. This is by user KenKennedy:

"Choose any screenset number (press any number 1-9 to select), then arrange the screen how you want it..
Once you've got it how you want it, go to screensets again and lock it."
That does not actually address the issue. Although locking screensets is a workaround, in many cases it can be annoying if you then change the windows and have to keep unlocking and relocking.

It is not the solution to the issue of why the windows were changing without locking screensets. As I said above, this should NOT be happening - you should be able to save a project and reopen with the same windows you saved it with without having to lock screensets.

Locked screensets are a red herring because it doesn't solve the initial issue.

Upvote 0
I agree with Pete's logic - this shouldn't happen and appears to be a bug in Logic.
I sometimes open projects and the windows have resized (usually smaller) and windows are often gathered together top left, as if to fit onto a smaller monitor.

I have established a possible cause in my case:
I have a main monitor, direct output from my Mac, plus a second monitor which is connected to my amplifier/receiver. I usually do not use the second monitor, but Logic seems to "know" there is a 2nd one connected. If I boot Logic with the amp switched off (and the 2nd screen unavailable) then this usually causes the mess I described above, though it randomly happens even when the amp is on.

Maybe Logic needs to get smarter regarding connected displays?

Another problem I notice is with Spaces. I usually open Logic in its own Space and have other Spaces (I'm talking OSX spaces) with other apps and windows. If I change Spaces, sometimes a Logic window gets "orphaned" onto the wrong Space and I have to drag it back to where it belongs.

I have reported this at Logic feedback and maybe songman should do the same. These things are irritating and disturb workflow and the more that users complain, the more likely the Logic staff are to do breakdown service on these bugs.

Upvote 0
The sessions open with the same windows but they are not of the saved size and position. I don't know why not.

Actually what you are describing is exactly what would happen if you did have locked screensets.

e.g

1. Open some windows and size
  2. Lock the screenset
  3. Change the window size
  4. Save again
  5. Reopen

Result: the windows will not be as they were at (3) the way you saved them, but as they were when you first locked them (1)

The locking of the window saves them in a state which overrules the state they were in when saving, ie they revert to the last locked state NOT how you last saved them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a main monitor, direct output from my Mac, plus a second monitor which is connected to my amplifier/receiver. I usually do not use the second monitor, but Logic seems to "know" there is a 2nd one connected. If I boot Logic with the amp switched off (and the 2nd screen unavailable) then this usually causes the mess I described above, though it randomly happens even when the amp is on.

This is expected.

If you had saved windows on monitor 2, and then reboot without monitor 2 and open the project, the windows will all be on monitor 1. Other wise those windows would be open in a monitor that is switched off and you won't see them

I think this is just normal behaviour and would apply to anything, not just Logic.

Upvote 0
Pete: I'm saying I don't have any windows on monitor 2.
They are all on monitor 1 and when I re-open a project, their sizes and positions are messed up.

Upvote 0
Actually what you are describing is exactly what would happen if you did have locked screensets.

e.g

1. Open some windows and size
  2. Lock the screenset
  3. Change the window size
  4. Save again
  5. Reopen

Result: the windows will not be as they were at (3) the way you saved them, but as they were when you first locked them (1)

The locking of the window saves them in a state which overrules the state they were in when saving, ie they revert to the last locked state NOT how you last saved them.

So does that mean than when you are working with screen sets and you change something with the windows and want to preserve the changed situation you just have to lock again, i.e. replace your 4. Save again by Lock again? That's doable isn't it.

Upvote 0
So does that mean than when you are working with screen sets and you change something with the windows and want to preserve the changed situation you just have to lock again, i.e. replace your 4. Save again by Lock again? That's doable isn't it.

Yes, unlock, change your windows and relock - those settings are then locked into the project. Any changes you make after that while locked, will not be saved with the project, on opening they will be as they were when you locked (not when you subsequently save)

But if you don't lock screensets, then the windows state on saving the project should be saved with the project.

Upvote 0
Back