Would appreciate advice on new MacBook Purchase

dsw67

Logician
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice. I'm planning on giving a family member my 2009 MacBook Pro, which puts me in the market for a new computer.

Some info about me: I'm a guitarist who performs jazz/blues/funk. I use Logic primarily for composing and creating demos of tunes. I've never used more than perhaps 10 instruments at a time.

My current MacBook Pro works fine for this purpose. Occasionally I notice the CPU meter spikes when using many software instrument tracks at the same time but it never seems to effect performance.

I'd like to get another MacBook Pro, preferably a 17", with more memory. I'm thinking of going with the following:

# 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
# 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
# 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 RPM
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I could go with a Mac Pro since I rarely need to travel with my computer.

However, on occasion I have taken the MacBook to my guitar teachers studio in order to show him pieces I've written.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dana

Pretty great system I'd say. The new Sandy Bridge CPU family are really something, and 8 gig of ram, while not as much as some, is pretty good.

If I were to buy a system today (laptop) I'd get the same system, add a fast firewire drive and be very happy.

Thanks George. One question, do you think the 5400 RPM drive is ok? I've heard other people suggest the 7200 RPM Drive, but it's a smaller size, 500GB. Thanks again.

I have a 7200 rpm drive in my older Mac Pro and I can't say I notice too much of a difference but I was using a faster drive as an external for music anyways. I'd go for the faster one if you have the $$$... a SSD drive would be very nice, but a 250 GB drive is a bit more costly than an older platter based system.

Back