customized behavior for double-clicking Regions, etc.

alienimplant

Logician
When I double click on a Region, I want to be able to launch a separate window instead of the roll-up sample edit window. This is particularly useful if you are using more than one monitor (which many studios do). This goes for anything that launches the Mixer, Event List, Score, Hyper Editor, Piano Roll, etc.

I need the ability to control windows like I did in Logic 7 when I want to and not be restricted to Logic 8 window behavior. Presently, I have to open the window with a key command and enable window linking each time I want to mimic the desired behavior.

If the old behavior was switched on, it would be nice of the rollup bar at the bottom (containing the Mixer, Sample Editor, Piano Roll, Score, and Hyper Editor buttons) would hide. Better yet, just make it a user-customizable bar (that you can hide if you wish).

Something funny happened about a week ago, Logic started flipping out on me and the old behavior came back for a moment. It was great until I realized little else worked properly. I had to reboot. But hey, what would heaven be without hell, lol.

A piece of good news for Logic Veterans: It looks like our Logic 7 behavior is just an option-click away for window behavior. Apologies to anyone who already knows this, but this isn't common knowledge amongst my Logic buds. I figured out tonight that I can option-double-click on a region and it launches the piano roll in a separate window with the correct region information displayed. I still wish the behavior could be reversed in a setting, but I kind of dig the fact that I have both options available. I would simply like to be able to set inverse behavior on my tower (and hide the roll up bar at the bottom of the arrange area) and leave the default behavior in place on my laptop. I have to say, I'm relieved the function hasn't been completely wiped out. I guess a key command would do the same thing, but at least it requires less forethought to execute.

In any case, I hope this helps if you are a dual-monitor user such as myself. I think I'm gonna start option-clicking every damn thing that seems to have been screwed up in Logic 8. :)

When I double click on a Region, I want to be able to launch a separate window instead of the roll-up sample edit window. This is particularly useful if you are using more than one monitor (which many studios do). This goes for anything that launches the Mixer, Event List, Score, Hyper Editor, Piano Roll, etc.

You just need to option double click to have seperate windows opening. Doing this on a Midi region will open the piano roll seperately. With an audio region, the sample editor gets opened.

I need the ability to control windows like I did in Logic 7 when I want to and not be restricted to Logic 8 window behavior. Presently, I have to open the window with a key command and enable window linking each time I want to mimic the desired behavior.

You could use screensets - that is how I access the "Old style" sample editor, piano roll and accasionally score editor.

If the old behavior was switched on, it would be nice of the rollup bar at the bottom (containing the Mixer, Sample Editor, Piano Roll, Score, and Hyper Editor buttons) would hide. Better yet, just make it a user-customizable bar (that you can hide if you wish).

Or make a screenset which does just that.

The new behaviour in Logic 8 is, I believe, central to the new work flow philosophy apple introduced. Orren already mentioned this in another post and I concur fully with him - it takes a little while to get used to it, but it really does have its benefits. The screensets I made, I hardly ever need to access.

Just my 0.02 cents ...

kind regards

Mark

When I first heard of the "new" all-in-one arrange window... I wondered why... cause of PT users. Now, I find it refreshing to use. I still use screensets, which seem to change as my workflow changes. I do like the "old way" of not being tied to the arrange window. When I develop a screen set e.g. a couple of mixers. they have to float above an arrange window. It's quirky of me... I reckon

Bottom line, I like the fact that both methods exist, but I want to control the default behavior and toggle the effect of the option button.

I would LOVE to disable the double-click on audio opens sample editor command. It's funny (annoying) that you can control double-click on midi but not audio.

Not hating on Logic--love the program, also the update, just seems like such a simple thing.

I would LOVE to disable the double-click on audio opens sample editor command. It's funny (annoying) that you can control double-click on midi but not audio.

Not hating on Logic--love the program, also the update, just seems like such a simple thing.

Out of curiosity, what would prefer to have happen when you double click on an audio region? I think the reason there is no customizable behavior for double clicking audio regions, is that there really is no other area to edit audio in Logic other than the sample editor.

Nothing. Often when I click on a region just to move it, the editor comes up. I would prefer to have "e" bring up the sample editor, because I don't use it much (I edit in the main window if needed, except for changing gain), and I never use the even editor.

Sounds like you need to adjust your double click speed setting in the OS prefs. I had similar problems in my mail client. Adjusting that setting usually solves that sort of problem.

I would prefer to have "e" bring up the sample editor

The standard KC to toggle the sample editor is W. You could of course change this to E if you want to, albeit E is the standard KC to toggle the event list.

kind regards

Mark

Aha, that's what you meant with the "even editor".

There I was wondering if there was an odd editor as well ;)

Not that I would want to be accused of telling other users how to use logic, but, hmm, working without the event editor is to me kind of like driving in one gear, or playing drums one handed ...

YMMV of course :)

kind regards

Mark

Not that I would want to be accused of telling other users how to use logic, but, hmm, working without the event editor is to me kind of like driving in one gear, or playing drums one handed ...

kind regards

Mark

Totally agree, +1.

kind regards

Mark

Totally agree, +1.

Aha, that's what you meant with the "even editor".

There I was wondering if there was an odd editor as well ;)

YMMV of course :)

kind regards

Mark

HAHAHA, ok, you got me--"evenT editor."

I just don't edit ALL the much midi anyway--I play it until it's right, or at least quantizable:). The singers I do with comp/swipe. So what's the bliss that I'm missing out on on the event editor?

Never use event list? Perish the thought! I've been relying on it since Logic 2.0 and Emagic Notator on Atari before that. Granted, it was the centerpiece of Notator, lol. But it's still extremely useful for fine tuning. I still use it all the time.

Sounds like you need to adjust your double click speed setting in the OS prefs. I had similar problems in my mail client. Adjusting that setting usually solves that sort of problem.

Thank you--this helped several things I didn't even know were a problem (that I could fix).

(and)
Hmmm...like I said, I guess the only thing I really spend time editing is vocals. Midi stuff I either nail on performance, or can correct with quantize. If it's not fixable by a first touch of quantize, I guess I consider it a challenge to execute in the performance and go back after it--my roots are in instrumental performance, not midi, so I guess that explains it. I'll check it out if I ever get stuck!

It's cool to use a program so deep that different people can rely on an aspect that I never even delve into, and vice versa! Environments, for example:errr: --I have the "arpeggiator" environment saved so I merely need to import it.:eeek: Sorry to all you geniuses, but Logic 8+ was made for guys like me--I tried it years ago and choked at the setup phase.:brkwl:

(not saying we need to dumb it down any more, "Garagic Studio"):)

Yeah, Logic was nothing short of brutal for noobs before 8. I can't tell you how many times I was hired as a consultant just to set up autoload song files (templates) over the years. The point you raise is a sad fact.

Back