mouse lag

tigerman

Logician
really annoying when you have heavy project, i always think to have selected a region and then i find i have moved another or i have done an automation instead, mouse lag is HUGE on big projects and i'm on a core i7 mac pro 4.1, screen refresh in general is very low on fps sometimes, i would like to see an improvement in this matter.

i have not written any spec because is a common problem, everyone has this problem, once you get some cpu load it starts lagging, the more cpu is used, the more it lags, logic video refresh aswell is slowed down.

i had insane lag with logic 8 on my old g5, so laggy that i had to edit with sequencer stopped.

bought this super maccrap pro and it's just a matter of cpu load you'll get the same problems as before, it has just moved beyond.

by the way:

Title: mouse lag

Summary: mouse lags!

Reproduce: just work on a heavy project

Result: mouse lags!

Regression: since logic 8

System Details:

-Computer Model

mac pro 4.1 4+4ht cores 3.2ghz

-How much RAM is installed

6GB

-Graphic card

geforce gt120 if i'm not wrong, the one sold by default with mac pro 4.1

-Audio Hardware being used -

motu 2408*2 + amt8, not relevant, it does the same even with internal speakers.

-The exact OS version you are using

-The exact Logic Version you are using -

9.1.3 (32bit)

Reproducible: always

Crashlog: no crashes

i'm installing 10.6.x on another partition but i'm quite sure nothing will change about this, they have to prioritize more video refresh and mouse, we need the windows to be faster and more responsive.
What i mean is, if i still have let's say 30% free cpu, why logic doesn't use this free processing available to speed up video refresh and mouse ? i expect to have mouse lag when processing is at its limits, not before!!

logic 7 was way better and faster, and logic in os9 was even more responsive!!

is this an evolution? looks like it's the opposite.

also peak meters in os9 was more accurate, for example if you have a very short sample, like a closed hi-hat, very very short, sometimes peak meters does not show any peak at all!! this has never been happened in os9.

i think all this issue referes to the same problem, logic's video refresh is too low on priority and does not use processing power available to speed it up.

cheers

Indeed. My experiences over the years in a nutshell:

Screenset swapping was faster in LAWP 5 then any OSX based version of logic. My biggest dissapointment when I switched to Logic 7 on a G5 was the very considerable slowdown in graphic response. Logic 8 on a G5 was even worse. Moving on to a Mac Pro ( in my case the original 2007 model 3 GHz Dual Quad Xeon) went quite some way to improving things, but logic is still not as snappy as it was with OS9 and Windows. I still miss that instant response.

kind regards

Mark

Back