Logic Pro (X) "Sound on sound" recording

micycle

Greetings - I've used Sonar forever (Cakewalk before that) and just recently bought my first Mac and am trying to get a grip on using a new DAW for the first time in 15 years. So far Logic seems to be the most logical choice (no pun intended).

In Sonar one of the audio (and MIDI) recording options was "Sound on Sound" where you could overlap audio on the same track and hear BOTH parts simultaneously. For example, say there's an existing chunk of audio in a track and I placed the playhead on the last 3 seconds of it and pressed record - in Sonar it would start recording from there and I could hear both the existing audio and the new audio I'm recording, and I'd blend the two together after the fact.

Am I missing something or is this not possible with Logic (I'm using the newest version)? It just seems like the only option is selecting/hearing 1 take at a time.

Thanks!

With Logic, there is a clear distinction between recording MIDI and recording audio.

MIDI: In the Recording Settings, you set the mode, how Logic reacts when recording over exciting MIDI Events. Choose Join.

Audio: When recording over an existing Audio Region, then Logic can only replace it (Replace Mode), or add the new Audio Region combined in a so-called Take Folder (Take Folder Mode). Merging two Audio Regions, or portions of them (on the same Timeline position) is only possible by creating (mixing) a new Audio Region from the Audio Regions on different Tracks.

Upvote 0
Back