Logic Pro (X) Cost Effective Mac Solution for a New Guy to Run Logic Pro X

NYCTony

Hello everyone. After a Google search, I know this question has been asked in the past - however I couldn't find recent discussion regarding this topic, so I would like to ask for some more up to date info, and info specifically applicable to the old firewire MOTU 828mkii I'm using.

A little background - I'm a PC guy, I do photo/video work using the adobe suite and so I run my own custom monster machine to take care of running those programs speedily. In the past I've used Ableton Live 8.1.4 for all audio recording tasks, running my mics through a little preamp, and then into an MOTU828mkii via firewire.

Recently I needed to purchase my first i-device since my old apple IIc -- an iPad Mini 2 - to use with our photo/video drone. In doing so, I discovered Garage Band. I've seen the light, I see why people like all things Apple! Never have I had such an easy, intuitive recording/music making experience. I purchased the little Shure MVI to input a guitar/mic and Garage Band is just so user-friendly. Did I watch tutorials? Maybe 1 or 2, but other than that - it was easy to figure everything out. Not so with Ableton!

Prior to playing with Garage Band, my guitar had been in its case for the past year or so. It is now out and being used daily! Sounds silly, but the experience using this little app has musically motivated me. It's also led me to ask the question "well, if Garage Band is this good, how great is logic pro x??? It seems logic pro x is unequivocally THE way to go.

So now I need a way to run it! I'm here to ask your recommendations on the least expensive way (so my wife doesn't kill me) to run logic pro x and be able to plug in my MOTU 828mkii. From my research, it looks like a used mac mini or macbook pro may be the way to go. It would literally be used only to run logic pro x.

Any suggestions on make/model/year/specs would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone. After a Google search, I know this question has been asked in the past - however I couldn't find recent discussion regarding this topic, so I would like to ask for some more up to date info, and info specifically applicable to the old firewire MOTU 828mkii I'm using.

A little background - I'm a PC guy, I do photo/video work using the adobe suite and so I run my own custom monster machine to take care of running those programs speedily. In the past I've used Ableton Live 8.1.4 for all audio recording tasks, running my mics through a little preamp, and then into an MOTU828mkii via firewire.

Recently I needed to purchase my first i-device since my old apple IIc -- an iPad Mini 2 - to use with our photo/video drone. In doing so, I discovered Garage Band. I've seen the light, I see why people like all things Apple! Never have I had such an easy, intuitive recording/music making experience. I purchased the little Shure MVI to input a guitar/mic and Garage Band is just so user-friendly. Did I watch tutorials? Maybe 1 or 2, but other than that - it was easy to figure everything out. Not so with Ableton!

Prior to playing with Garage Band, my guitar had been in its case for the past year or so. It is now out and being used daily! Sounds silly, but the experience using this little app has musically motivated me. It's also led me to ask the question "well, if Garage Band is this good, how great is logic pro x??? It seems logic pro x is unequivocally THE way to go.

So now I need a way to run it! I'm here to ask your recommendations on the least expensive way (so my wife doesn't kill me) to run logic pro x and be able to plug in my MOTU 828mkii. From my research, it looks like a used mac mini or macbook pro may be the way to go. It would literally be used only to run logic pro x.

Any suggestions on make/model/year/specs would be greatly appreciated.
I am also running a MacMini. The MacMini I have has been working splendidly! I also purchased Logic Pro X recently. $200. It is an animal that can be tamed, but there is a lot to it, whereas Garage Band is your "basic" DAW. Your MOTU is older, but by the pix you posted I think it would work just fine. As long as the pots are not scratchy/dirty. As for Logic Pro X, there are tons of Youtube vids on how to use Logic Pro X properly. I have 6 months behind me while using it, and I'm probably halfway there to getting radio ready mixes and masters. I also do a lot of acoustic guitar recording, as well as electric guitar, keys, mandolin, etc... I do recommend Logic X, as long as you have some time to spend on the tutorials and lessons to understand how to get the full use of it's offerings. On a sidenote, I also spent the $185 on the Rockville RCM03 condenser mic package. I absolutely love it! Mic, stand, rear baffle, mic cables. Using a direct input (DI) was ok, but the mic brought the life out from my acoustic 12 and 6 string Taylor, as well as mandolin, vox, even electric guitar. Maybe down the line if you're wife approves of your music? Lol. I learned to "incorporate" my wife into giving me help and feedback at every level of recording from start to finish. The help she gave me was invaluable. Are you writing and doing originals? Not important, but if you decide to go with Logic Pro X, I'd love to talk with you, and compare notes. No, I don't work for Apple. Just wanting to learn the whole gamut! Mike

Upvote 0
I am also running a MacMini. The MacMini I have has been working splendidly! I also purchased Logic Pro X recently. $200. It is an animal that can be tamed, but there is a lot to it, whereas Garage Band is your "basic" DAW. Your MOTU is older, but by the pix you posted I think it would work just fine. As long as the pots are not scratchy/dirty. As for Logic Pro X, there are tons of Youtube vids on how to use Logic Pro X properly. I have 6 months behind me while using it, and I'm probably halfway there to getting radio ready mixes and masters. I also do a lot of acoustic guitar recording, as well as electric guitar, keys, mandolin, etc... I do recommend Logic X, as long as you have some time to spend on the tutorials and lessons to understand how to get the full use of it's offerings. On a sidenote, I also spent the $185 on the Rockville RCM03 condenser mic package. I absolutely love it! Mic, stand, rear baffle, mic cables. Using a direct input (DI) was ok, but the mic brought the life out from my acoustic 12 and 6 string Taylor, as well as mandolin, vox, even electric guitar. Maybe down the line if you're wife approves of your music? Lol. I learned to "incorporate" my wife into giving me help and feedback at every level of recording from start to finish. The help she gave me was invaluable. Are you writing and doing originals? Not important, but if you decide to go with Logic Pro X, I'd love to talk with you, and compare notes. No, I don't work for Apple. Just wanting to learn the whole gamut! Mike
BTW, I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 for input. Basically the same thing you have.

Upvote 0
Back