Logic Pro 9 Hello. Newb alert!

Logician
Just thought i would say hi. I recently got a Mac and logic 9 after years of a PC and logic 5.

Wow! There is a bit of a learning curve, I didn't expect logic to have changed so much. I also didn't think the MAc would be so easy to use.

I do have a question. How can I transfer my old projects onto my new setup. I don't expect my effects setting to be saved. Do I need to strip the tracks down and transfer them one by one or can i transfer a whole lso file at once and have it come out as separate tracks on logic 9?

If I transfer them to a external hard drive from the PC will the Mac and logic 9 recognize them?

Someone can hopefully correct me on this if I'm wrong, but if Logic 9 won't open the .lso files, then you need to open them with Logic 7. Once saved in Logic 7 you can then open in Logic 9.

Obviously this is OK for those of us who have gone down the constant upgrade route (and kept Logic 7), but not such good news if you go from Logic 5 to Logic 9, as you don't have Logic 7.

Maybe I have the version numbers wrong and it's pre logic 5 that needs Logic 7.

Anyway, either way it can be advisable to rebuild your projects from a fresh Logic 9 template and imprt your audio wavs and MIDI regions (via MIDIfile), as I've noticed a few extra bugs creeping in with older projects. Even with Logic 8 projects actually.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It' just audio tracks. I thought it would be cool to be able to import them as whole projects. I knew it seemed far fetched.

I guess the best way to do it would be just to import the wave files like always. It's just that there are so many.

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge, Logic 9 should be able to open any logic projects from Logic 5 on. Older projects must first be opened in Logic 5, 6 or 7, then saved, before they can be opened in Logic 8 or 9.

As 490440 noted, settings from Plugins from 3rd parties (i. e. VSTs) will not survive the transition, irrespective as to whether they are opened in Logic 7, 8 or 9. This has to do with the differences in the VST and AU Plugin formats. Any settings from Logic's own effects should be OK. If the Plugins have not in any way been renamed they themselves should open in Logic 9.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks for correcting me mark, I couldn't remember whether it was 5 and earlier or 4 and earlier that had to be opened and saved in later versions.

If it's just audio then I would advise starting a new project anyway for reasons stated above or you may find corruptions in the project (well I do anyway). Also I'm not sure you will retain the fader positions when the conversion to core audio driver happens.

Upvote 0
Back