Logic Pro (X) Musescore to Logic playback

azgilbertdh

I have Musescore (open source notation app) talking to Logic, sort of. Entering notes and playing back a score in Musescore does play through virtual instrument tracks in Logic. But I can only play one instrument at a time, the one instrument assigned to the track currently selected. During playback, if I click a different track, the entire score will switch to playing using the instrument of that track. I create staves in Musescore and assign them an instrument and a channel, then create tracks in Logic for each instrument and put the track on the same channel. What am I missing?

Thanks,
David

I had this problem using EXS24 and some other Logic VIs in other DAWs by linking MIDI and Audio channels between apps. I used Interapplication MIDI to send MIDI from another DAW to Logic, and then Soundflower to send the audio back to the DAW.

The problem I ran into was that the MIDI front end in Logic does not distinguish MIDI channels, even though there is a MIDI setting on the target channel strips. So the active instrument in Logic responds to every MIDI channel sent from the other DAW. Maybe that's what is happening in your case. I solved this by building a rather complicated Environment window that intercepted MIDI input, split it according to channel, and routed it to directly to the specific instrument channel strips I wanted to respond.

One of the long term members here explained to me how to do this -- I would never have thought of this myself.

Upvote 0
Yup. Exactly this. “So the active instrument in Logic responds to every MIDI channel sent from the other DAW. Maybe that's what is happening in your case.”

I may try to beat my head against trying to create such an environment. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I found it, but I built it using DP 9 and Logic 9 to run Concert Strings in EXS 24 from DP with different MIDI controllers than I have now. When I open the Logic project in V10.5, it shows Sampler and most of the routing is gone. I guess a lot of what I did was specific to the specific MIDI resources in place at the time. It worked recently with previous updates of Logic X and DP 10, but doesn't work now. I'm not likely to recreate it unless, I need to use Concert Strings again.

But the basic idea was to run cables from the Physical Input, through Channel Splitters, to a series of channels that had EXS 24 loaded with specific CS presets. I recall some gotchas when putting it together, but it all made sense in the end.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help. On the Apple support forum, I found another solution which kind of works. It is for recording on multiple tracks. In midi project settings check auto demix by channel, and then enable record on all tracks. Now all of the instruments are playing back when Musescore sends the data, but either it is not sending an all notes off, or Logic is not receiving it. When you stop playback in Musescore, the notes are hanging and you have go to Logic and press space bar. Still, progress!

Upvote 0
Back