Logic Pro 9 sorry for the noob question-can't hear recorded guitar

timborocksloud

Hi guys, sorry for asking the noob question.
I have been using garageband for a bit with no issues, however I decided to upgrade to logic express.
I recorded my guitar through line 6 ux2 studio, and I can see the track and when I play it, the levels go up and down, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the sound come out of my headphones or out of the computer speakers. I have checked the inputs and outputs in preferences. I put in a drum track and I can hear that, just not the guitar. I swear I have spent more than an hour trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help.:brkwl:

Check that software monitoring is enabled in the audio preferences. This is just one possibility of what the problem might be; it's easy to check.

Upvote 0
After 2.5 hours I figured it out...the little boxes under I/O on the left side, I needed to select the bottom one and set the output to bus 1? Not sure what that means. I am sure this is a great tool, and I am looking forward to learning how it works, but damn...that was frustrating.

Upvote 0
Tim, I sympathize with your frustration. Logic is a complex program. I highly recommend investing some time in additional training. For self study, Apple Pro training has two very good books. These are hands on projects. If you prefer video, Groove 3 and and Mac Pro Video are quite good. If you only pick on I favor the Groove 3, but you can't do wrong with any of them.

Upvote 0
There are indeed very well written and informative 3rd party books, as well as plenty of excellent video material available. If I may make this comment though - the situation described is covered in the "Exploring" Booklet that comes with the program, on page 149 "Creating a Submix" explains this.

That booklet is particularly intended for newcomers, including (or even especially) those coming from Garage Band, and is really mandatory reading. Logic, like Photoshop and other highly developed Media Applications, can't really be learned by trial and error, time spent with the literature is time very well spent...

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I can personally vouche for the Mac Pro Video Logic series.
They range from beginner to very advanced and are rather affordable if you take advantage of the specials they run. The Apple Training books are great too, but seeing someone demonstrate visually how to use Logic is fantastic.

Upvote 0
No, Groove 3 is at www.groove3.com and Mac Pro Video is at www.macprovideo.com. Both have samples you can watch. I don't belive either company has anything to do with Apple.

Note, Eli Krantzberg, who responded to your question above, has a number of excellent courses on Groove 3. I have learned so much from Eli and Doug, I feel as if I know them.

Upvote 0
Back