Logic Pro 9 Ultra drum beginning bar question?

uncle808us

Logician
Why is ultra drum not returning to the beginning bar when playing along with tracks in the arrange window? when I hit return the ultra drum does not reset to the beginning bar?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 3.51.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 3.51.16 PM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 170
It depends on the bar or division you return to.
For example:
The default UB step sequencer length is a 32 steps which is equivalent of 32 sixteen note divisions regarding the Logic arrange grid (i.e 2 bars in 4/4). Meaning that:
1. When you run Logic from 1.1.1.1 the UB starts from step 1.
2. When you run Logic from 1.3.1.1 the UB starts from step 9.
3. When you run Logic from 2.1.1.1 the UB starts from step 17.
4. When you run Logic from 2.3.1.1 the UB starts from step 25.

When you run Logic from 3.1.1.1 the UB follows the same step order laws shown above.

Rejoice,
A.G

Upvote 0
For some reason I can't get my head around what you are saying.I'm starting at bar 28 1 1 1 UB still jumps to step17. Man I wish I could figure this out. Sorry for my ignorance.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this applies, but UltraBeat responds differently depending if its on or not. If it's on, Logic transport toggles it on and off, but does not return to the beginning of the pattern. If you drag your pattern onto the arrange area and the UB track and turn UB off, It's good to line up with logic.....

Upvote 0
I'm starting at bar 28 1 1 1 UB still jumps to step17.
Yes that's correct if you use the default 32 steps length.
If you follow carefully my first post you will note that UB will jump to step 17 when Logic playhead is placed on "even" bar numbers like 2,4,6,8 etc - bar 28 is an "even" one!
If you place the playhead on "odd" bar numbers 1,3,5,7 etc the UB will start from step 1 (in 32 step mode).
Man I wish I could figure this out.
As you see this law depends on the steps 'length" amount set in the UB.
Try/calculate some other length which is OK for your project. For example 16 steps will restart the UB sequencer to step 1 when you place the Logic playhead on any bar start 1,2,3,4 (incl 28)...

Rejoice,
A.G

Upvote 0
I'm starting at bar 28 1 1 1 UB still jumps to step17.
Yes that's correct if you use the default 32 steps length.
If you follow carefully my first post you will note that UB will jump to step 17 when Logic playhead is placed on "even" bar numbers like 2,4,6,8 etc - bar 28 is an "even" one!
If you place the playhead on "odd" bar numbers 1,3,5,7 etc the UB will start from step 1 (in 32 step mode).
Man I wish I could figure this out.
As you see this law depends on the steps 'length" amount set in the UB.
Try/calculate some other length which is OK for your project. For example 16 steps will restart the UB sequencer to step 1 when you place the Logic playhead on any bar start 1,2,3,4 (incl 28)...

Rejoice,
A.G
I get it now. Thank you. What do you think is the logic behind this? If I want to create the track in UB in the order of the bars 1-16 =28 1 1 1 then 2nd 17-32 = 28 2 1 1 it won't work that way. Or am I still missing something?

Upvote 0
If I want to create the track in UB in the order of the bars 1-16 =28 1 1 1 then 2nd 17-32 = 28 2 1 1 it won't work that way. Or am I still missing something?
If you want to create such special combinations then you can try the Doug Zangar's post above:
If you drag your pattern onto the arrange area and the UB track and turn UB off, It's good to line up with logic.

Rejoice,
A.G

Upvote 0
Not sure if this applies, but UltraBeat responds differently depending if its on or not. If it's on, Logic transport toggles it on and off, but does not return to the beginning of the pattern. If you drag your pattern onto the arrange area and the UB track and turn UB off, It's good to line up with logic.....

I cleared everything out of UB dragged the pattern to Logic but if I turn UB off how am I going to write the pattern? If I turn it on (UB) then it is still starting on the 17th step. So am I still missing something? Or will it just not start at step1 unless I am on an odd numbered measure?

Upvote 0
uncle808us; said:
dragged the pattern to Logic but if I turn UB off how am I going to write the pattern?
After daging the pattern onto arrange you just copy it (as a midi region) along the track, cut (shorten) it, line up the new slices etc - like you do with your regular midi regions. The UB sequencer must be OFF in this scenario so the UB will behave as a sound device only (like you use EXS24 etc).

Rejoice,
A.G

Upvote 0
OK I got it. I just recorded the track with my controller. No worries.
It would be nice though if UB would start always on the first step.
Thanks for staying with me on this.
PS: I went to the fun listing on your webpage the song by you and your son was great.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that you have solved the problem.
the song by you and your son was great
Heh, I dedicated that song "The Passion of the Son" to my father. So the Son - that's me.:)
Regards,
A.G

Upvote 0
Back