Vocal studio Mic

yabeweb

Logician
Hello, I am looking for advice for a good vocal studio mic that i'll be using to record...well vocals in Logic, any good advice?

The price range would be between 200 and 300$, is there anything noteworthy? any suggestion and may be a little explanation on why?

Thanks

Andrea

The Blue Baby Bottle is an fantastic condenser mic, about the price you are looking for, and they also have a "Spark" that would be good.

The reason why: great company, great quality, great sound.

I had the Baby Bottle for a long time and sold (wish I still had it). If I had a Blue Spark I'd look into getting it modified at Oktavamod. One of my most used mics is a cheap modded Oktava 319. I think with the mod I probably have about $350 in that thing and it just kills on a lot of vocals. Also works on many instruments and is just killer on violin and cello.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all and..

How would you compare the spark to the Studio Projects B1 Vocal Condenser Microphone, Cardioid?

Thanks

Don't know the Blue Spark. At least in the same price range I would prefer a Blue mic over a Studio Project mic. This is however a totally uneducated guess ...

By the way, it is not the very best idea to choose mics by price or name. More important are the voice(s) and the kind of music. Female or male, soft or hard voice, Rap, Ballads, Rock etc.

Some well-known mics within your budget in alphabetical order:
Audio Technica AT 2050
Blue Spark
Røde NT1-A or NT2-A
Sontronics STC-2X​
These are universal mics of proven quality, easy to handle and good for a voice from soft to medium hardness.

I don't have any experience with the Spark,but I do have a Studio Projects B1 and have used it for many years and love it. I find it an extremely versatile and forgiving mic. Obviously no single mic is going to be perfect in every situation. But the B1 seems to be very useable in many situations. IMHOit's the best "cheap" mic that I have used; and I have used a few. It's way better than an Audio Technica 2020 that I had and sold. I have a Rode NT1-A as well. It is very different (again IMHO) than the B1. They both sound nice; but the B1 is generally a more consistent go to mic that sounds good in more situations for me.

At the end i went with a Sontronix got a really good deal for 200$ got the STC-2X (http://www.sontronics.com/stc2x.htm) and the STC-1 (http://www.sontronics.com/stc1.htm) with pop filter and cables!

I tried the mic right at the shop and was very very pleased, the price and the live demo were good enough for me and bought it straight away!

I'll let you know how i feel about it after some recordings!!!

Thank you all for the suggestion, some very very very helpful and helped me in the final decision as well!

I don't have any experience with the Spark,but I do have a Studio Projects B1 and have used it for many years and love it. I find it an extremely versatile and forgiving mic. Obviously no single mic is going to be perfect in every situation. But the B1 seems to be very useable in many situations. IMHOit's the best "cheap" mic that I have used; and I have used a few. It's way better than an Audio Technica 2020 that I had and sold. I have a Rode NT1-A as well. It is very different (again IMHO) than the B1. They both sound nice; but the B1 is generally a more consistent go to mic that sounds good in more situations for me.

The B1 is fine for 2nd tenor-bartione males, not as good as the C1 for high males like Steve Perry types or females IMHO.

The B1 is fine for 2nd tenor-bartione males, not as good as the C1 for high males like Steve Perry types or females IMHO.

Hi Jay,

I know you're half joking (well, maybe almost half), but I agree. I have had less success with the B1 on female vocals then on male vocals. But still.... :D

Hi Jay,

I know you're half joking (well, maybe almost half), but I agree. I have had less success with the B1 on female vocals then on male vocals. But still.... :D

Eli, I wasn't joking at all. That is my experience with the B1.

Another simple thing to consider is placement of the mic to the singer. Don't "eat" the mic. Try some distance from your mouth to the capsule. I make singers stand back a foot much of the time. I'll use a pop filter and have that where I want them to be so they can still have the feeling of getting close to the mic. You can also have the mic up high pointing down at a 45 degree angle at the nose. Finally, just rotating the mic 15-45 degrees can really affect the tone in a good way. Makes it darker.

Another simple thing to consider is placement of the mic to the singer. Don't "eat" the mic. Try some distance from your mouth to the capsule. I make singers stand back a foot much of the time. I'll use a pop filter and have that where I want them to be so they can still have the feeling of getting close to the mic. You can also have the mic up high pointing down at a 45 degree angle at the nose. Finally, just rotating the mic 15-45 degrees can really affect the tone in a good way. Makes it darker.

But Dave, surely that depends on the specific mic and its "proximity effect" and the sound you are going for, as well as the mic technique of the singer. Do you not agree?

Back