Attachments

• Artic ID.png
    Artic ID.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Artic ID2.png
    Artic ID2.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
If you look inside of the EXS editor, you can choose an articulation ID number for a sample. This way you could choose for example articulation ID "3" for all pizz notes or what have you.

Even better, choose the ArtID for a Group in the EXS24 editor. That's what Apple has done in the new presets that use ArtID's.

Upvote 0
Of course, there needs to be a utility that allows to us to convert 3rd party key switches, or better yet, to "read" 3rd party key switches and convert them the articulation ID numbers.

I tried looking at the Transformer to see if I could convert existing data to ArtID's, but there doesn't seem to be such an option.

I've sent feedback to Apple asking for:
- Detailed info on Articulation ID's (There's none)
- Updating the Transformer to be able to convert data to ArtID's
- To be able to display ArtID's in MIDI Draw

There's certainly potential here, but it isn't fully functional yet.

Upvote 0
If you look inside of the EXS editor, you can choose an articulation ID number for a sample. This way you could choose for example articulation ID "3" for all pizz notes or what have you.

Even better, choose the ArtID for a Group in the EXS24 editor. That's what Apple has done in the new presets that use ArtID's.

For my use, Artic ID for groups makes the most sense. It's nice to have that option along with CC and key switches.

It's an excellent start but needs further development.

When VST Expression was introduced in C5, the user needed to enter information (key switches, controllers, or program change data) used by the software or hardware instrument, then save an Expression map. Draw it in where needed. By C6, the host was able to read the available key switches without any effort on the part of the user other than to load the instrument. Support for this has grown at a slow pace.

It would make sense to have a conversion utility built in to Logic, along the lines of the Apple Loops utility, that "reads" key switches and allows the user to accept some default artic ID or set their own numbers.

Upvote 0
would be great to have access to the ID from within the scripter Midi fx .... this way one could easily map IDs to key switches - an, also experiment easily ....

I though about meta data events, but of course note bound IDs would be more convenient ...

best

Upvote 0
Logic X Expressions Maps !!

Hi All !!
Because the lack of feature " expressions maps " in Logic X, I have created a system of macros to learn all the articulations of EWQLSO in the score of Logic.
You can see a Video Tutorial here :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sorry but this video is in french, because my English is Horrible !! I apologize for this problem !! I hope you can understand all the video !!
In all the cases don't hesitate to give me your appreciation's and what you think of this, and to improve this system !!
Thank you very much to all

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi All !!
Because the lack of feature " expressions maps " in Logic X, I have created a system of macros to learn all the articulations of EWQLSO in the score of Logic.
You can see a Video Tutorial here :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I'm sorry but this video is in french, because my English is Horrible !! I apologize for this problem !! I hope you can understand all the video !!
In all the cases don't hesitate to give me your appreciation's and what you think of this, and to improve this system !!
Thank you very much to all
Thanx Legodo for your video tutorial!
However, could it be possible to apply your articulation id macros directly to the VI track/CS in the Environment, instead of going through the track re-assignment process?

Upvote 0
Hi Atlas and thank you for your question !!
Unfortunately, it is impossible because of limitations " audio units " and that is a shame!!:mad:
I would have preferred to me also it was simpler, but the solution is in midi only, because the virtual instruments do not recognize the symbols, if one tries to put them before the macro !!
The only solution is to create midi tracks and to assign them to the virtual instrument and to hide the virtual instrument in the arrange page, not to have a too complicated sight.

Upvote 0
if it is MIDI only - no meta data - then one should be able to use the scripting MIDI fx

in your video - and yes, really nice video - you do not go into the setup of the notation- how it translates to Midi information and also not into the environment macros ....

vraiment interessant ... moi, il me faut un peu de temps avec ces fonctionnes de Logic ...

Upvote 0
if it is MIDI only - no meta data - then one should be able to use the scripting MIDI fx

in your video - and yes, really nice video - you do not go into the setup of the notation- how it translates to Midi information and also not into the environment macros ....

vraiment interessant ... moi, il me faut un peu de temps avec ces fonctionnes de Logic ...

Thank you for your comment and your French is very good !!! :)
In my macros I use meta data to translate midi information, but it would be too long to explain in video. That requires a heavy and very complicated work to create articulations for an entire library of sounds, one or two weeks at least and this is why these macros are not free !!
In any case I thank you for your interest in this micro software.

Upvote 0
hello, salut,

I now watched a video which shows the use of meta data with OPT-entering. now I understand the principal behind this.

it would be great if we:
1) could name articulations (e.g. artic id 1 = sustain, artic id 2 = portato, etc)
2) assign articulations by name, not ID
3) assign to selected notes from context menu - mouse over the note, select one or several and choose an articulation from the context menu
4) read the artic ID within a MIDI FX Script and there one can convert them to key switches, whatever suits one's needs....

that would be a reasonable workflow. Apple and Motu are really missing out here compared to Steinberg. for how many years we have great and sophisticated sample libraries now? and Logic is still offering the workflow they had decades ago on the Atari ....

best

Upvote 0
Hi Steff !!

1 To name articulation : impossible, because Logic assign the same meta data whatever the allotted name = another limit of Logic !!!!
2 Same issue !!!
3 This is possible ( click on command only ) but in this case Logic does not assign none meta data
4 The scripter in Logic X does not accept Meta datas !!!!

I'm with you with the lack of this feature in Logic and DP, it's a shame !!:brkwl:
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hello,

well, I made up my mind how I approach this ....

I thought about some alternatives:
- taking a look at Cubase (well, obviously I just spent money on Logic Pro X and then years ago I left Cubase behind and did not really want to give Steinberg any money for that. Also, VST expression are interesting, but for keyswitching I find they are not elegant at all. So, although I would have like to play around with VST expressions, however, as a former Cubase user - event after 6 years - I still feel too disappointed about how Steinberg treats/treated customers to spend money on Cubase.)

- taking a look at Notion - really interesting, but same about the money I just spent on Logic Pro X and then CC data handling in Notion is really not that great and I use CC quite a bit with Vienna Instrument Pro ...

Thus I decided to follow a MIDI scripting approach - use one CC and then switch articulations for the value. So, instead of using articulation ID 1 for sustained, 2 for staccato, 3 for pizzicato etc. I decided to pick a CC (e.g. control #43) and for the control value 1 I switch to sustain, for control value 2 I switch to staccato etc. In the script I then trigger all the commands to get that articulation when I receive that specific contra value.
Once, articulation ID become available in scripts I can easily switch. And (well for me at least) the script is easy and fast to maintain, adapt and update - much easier than the environment macros I guess.

It is a bit inconvenient to handle the MIDI cc next to the notes in score editor, but I think quite usable.

The scripting editor is quite horrible and unstable though ... I mean for a company that has some of the best software development tools available (Xcode, DashCode, etc.) this is really a joke. Luckily there are some better editors in the macAppStore and one can copy and paste.

Just wanted to report back what I came up with.

best

Upvote 0
Projects that I work on I need to create parts/score. I used to use Finale for my parts/score generation and Finale has a feature that will change articulations automatically when directives are entered into the score. Well, I discovered Logic can do the same thing. I create transformers in the environment that converts score symbol Meta events or text Meta events into CC numbers that I assign to the respective articulations in the EXS24. So just by entering score symbols or text directives into the score the articulations will change. I don't deal with the Event editor at all. It's very slick!

Upvote 0
So just by entering score symbols or text directives into the score the articulations will change. I don't deal with the Event editor at all. It's very slick!
The Articulations IDs can be recorded in real time only via the Sequencer.
If you have an existing midi region and you try to change the Articulations via any real time Environment method (thought there is one) or Smart Controls you will find out that is hard. Of course there are a few methods to do manual post processing of the Articulation change via the Event List or via the Piano Roll (Logic 10.0.5 update).
So, hold for a while - I'm on a dead line to release the new Scripter Toolkit which can do all that on the fly :).

Upvote 0
So just by entering score symbols or text directives into the score the articulations will change. I don't deal with the Event editor at all. It's very slick!
The Articulations IDs can be recorded in real time only via the Sequencer.
If you have an existing midi region and you try to change the Articulations via any real time Environment method (thought there is one) or Smart Controls you will find out that is hard. Of course there are a few methods to do manual post processing of the Articulation change via the Event List or via the Piano Roll (Logic 10.0.5 update).
So, hold for a while - I'm on a dead line to release the new Scripter Toolkit which can do all that on the fly :).

:waveywavey:Wow! Pleeeaaase keep us posted whenever it's out!

Upvote 0
Back